keep lower unit from freezing

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by russ, Nov 30, 2008.

1. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    guys i was wondering about my lower unit, i keep the boat in the shed in the winter, but i fish all winter. alot of times im out of town fishing in tourneys and the boat is outside for a night or two. i was wondering if i took one of those wide heat tapes that you wrap pipes with if that would keep my lower unit safe.

2. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I think that as long as your lower unit seals are good, you have no worries. I know a lot of duck hunters who use their outboards all winter long and have no problems. If that lower unit is sealed up tight nothing should be in there to freeze. If I am wrong, somebody please post to correct me. I don't want to give any bad info. This is how I understand it though.

3. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    I run mine all winter below the L&D's chasing walleye. Take the extra steps to drain as much water as you can each time and you shouldn't have any problems. :wink:

4. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    as long as you leave the motor down to drain while you get everything else ready for the ride home you will be fine..

5. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN

As Adam said above, that is exactly what I do is let the motor drain good after Im done and I usually take it a step further by lowering the motor to the down position after I get home and leave it that way until I leave with it the next time. Ive yet to have any problems with my lower unit.

6. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i as well leave mine trimmed all the way down once back in the yard

7. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Got this from one of the fishin shows. Raise the motor as far as it will go and then lower it as far as it will go and repeat. I have been doing it for at least 10 years and never had a motor freeze up yet. I have seen guys start the motor for a second or two as well. i am not comfortable with that.

8. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    The only exception to this would be is if you have water in the gear lube for some reason (leaking prop-shaft seal). If your gear lube is not milky looking you should be fine, if it is, change it, then store with the motor all the way down.
    Thats why it always good to service in the Fall, even if you don't Winterize.

9. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Russ,
    I just lower the motor all the way down as soon as I can , and let the water drain out. I did it all last winter and never had any problems.

10. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    You guys are right! So long as you drain all the water out at the boat ramp before you head home. I usually raise my motor all the way up and leave it while I'm getting my gear together then I lower it all the way down and leave that way for a few minutes before I head for home.

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    These guys have covered ALL the avenues Russ. Pretty sharp lot to say the least. Gotta love em :smile2:

1. Make sure lube is not milky indicating water in the lower unit casing.
    2. Trim motor all the way down when your not using it. I was told to place a small wood block to rest the skeg on which removes pressure off of the transom, but I dont know much bout that.
    3. Thats all you have to do buddy. Like Bob and the others said, just make sure theres no water in your lower unit, and stow in the down position and your golden.

12. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I went out last week sometime and forgot to trim my motor down that night. The next morning on the way to the van to go to work, I thought to check on it. The prop was frozen stiff. I tried pretty hard to spin it without any luck. I trimmed it down all the way and went to work. By the time I got home, it had warmed up enough to melt, and was spinning easily.
    I've taken it out twice now with no noticeable problems. Would it be immediately evident if I did any damage to her?
    With the Evinrude E-tec it says there is no scheduled maintenance for 3 years. I've had mine for about a year and a half. I think with as much as I run mine, I might just take her in for scheduled maintenence this year. I guess they'll let me know if I've done any damage. :roll_eyes:

13. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    thx guys, i went ahead and had new plugs and lower unit oil changed. the carbs were fine. he said to rasie it all the way up then down id be fine. so i gess ill go fishing this weekend just to find out. ( just to see if hes right lol ) the river is so low down here the catfish have tics on them. once agin ty.

14. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    If your not leaking gear lube, and everything works your probably OK. If you've ever gotten fishing line around your prop shaft, theres a chance the seal has let water in, and it could have froze just enough to lock it up till it thawed.
    I'd check the gear lube just to be on the safe side.

15. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Well, I went out to check on the prop again yesterday and it was froze again. :embarassed: I put a propane heater under the lower unit until it thawed out. I gave her a spin and she spun freely. Unfortunatly, I noticed a trail of oil running down the outside of the prop. Any idea? Seal is bad? I don't know anything about OB engines. :roll_eyes: How do I check the oil for water?

16. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Unscrew the drain plug on the bottom of the unit...all the way at the bottom....if the oil is milky white, you have water in the lower unit...

17. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for the info guys. I worry a great deal about this and its kind of stressful every time I go fishing

18. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Bill is correct, but regardless of that if you are already leaking oil then chances are you have water, also regardless of that, your boat is new correct, and under warranty? take her back again and tell them to get on it ya need it by may 09 :eek:oooh: Never was real comfy myself reading about the no maintenance crap for 3 years or what ever it is that engine says, some things just HAVE to be done at-least once a year......IMO

19. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    If your lower unit has alot of waterin it, it will usually seperate,and will drain first when you pull the plug, followed by milky oil. Same thing happened to my last boat. I lucked out and it was only a bad seal.:wink: