Keep it clean!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jeremiad, Aug 16, 2006.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I was scouting the shores of Mt. Storm lake in West Virginia for a good fishing spot. While doing so, I was amazed at the amount of trash littering the shores of the lake. It was truly disgraceful.

I am a firm believer that what you pack in, you pack back out. BOC members practice, as backpackers on national forest land, a strict "leave no trace" policy, right?

I would simply like to remind the brotherhood that cleanliness is next to godliness. Do your part to keep the shores and water clean; your children will thank you! :cool2:

2. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Every time I here or see something as you had described, it reminds me of an old TV commercial that I had seen as a child.
    An Indian crying on a polluted beach.:sad2:
    Any one else remember that one?

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Gotta wonder why they stopped runnin that one Dave.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I seen a place like that yesterday. They even had 5 old tires that they had try to burn. All the steel laying there out of them.
    Also looked like 2 cases of been bottles. And coke cans. Man wonder how there truck or boat looks like? If they will leave that trash on the banks they are low.
    Pete

5. BigGreen

BigGreen New Member

State:
    IL
    I see that alot here in IL. At some lakes they actually close the area off to the public, i have lost some prime spots do to carelessness. Anything you bring you take with you, that is what I practice.

I have a special spot out in the country and i rarley bring anyone cause they usaully turn out to be litterbugs.

6. biggen0_8

biggen0_8 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I hear what your saying. At one time I thought that if you were a fisherman, that meant you must be an outdoorsman. However these kind of people have proven me wrong. An outdoorsman respects his environment.
    I have adopted the policy of taking more trash home than I brought with me. The old saying goes, "all it takes for bad people to triumph is for good people to do nothing." We all need to do what we can to make up for the few bad ones. Sorry didn't mean to start preaching.

7. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    yea. i know what you mean my son and i go and we usally end up picking up more litter than we had.....

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    http://www.retrojunk.com/details_commercial/499/

9. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah my favorite place is Lil Mexico.... And the trash just runs all 300ft of River Bank...

10. Wildchilde01

Wildchilde01 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Me and April fish at an apartment complex where the lake is for "members only" we have never lived there but after fishing with a resident one day the manager invited us back because we picked up our trash, his trash and all the other idiots trash. We catch 5-10 lb channels out of there on a regular basis while others fishing near us catch squat, get mad and leave thier trash for us to clean up. Thats fine, karma IMHO. I enjoy my thick thick fillets while they pick the meat off thier minnows with a toothpick.

If you pack it in, pack it out.

11. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I'm certainly glad that everyone here is doing their part in keeping the water and shoreline clean.

I can add that on the last day that I went to the lake, someone had bagged trash along the shore, but sadly, just as much trash had taken its place along the shore. There were empty beer bottles, empty bait containers, and the usual other trash.

I always pack an empty plastic shopping bag or two. One of the bags makes a great trash container.

12. Kentucky_Cat_Hunter

Kentucky_Cat_Hunter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I do the same thing Jeremiad. I usually keep a few plastic store bags in my truck just for my trash. Besides fishing, I love to hike and just enjoy nature's beauty in general. But some people have no respect for the natural land scape or others who might be enjoying it. I also try to teach my kids that when you leave litter, it ruins the landscape for others and for the animals, etc. I hope more people start adopting the habit of picking up trash and keeping our natrual landscape beautiful. Not just at the lake, river, creek or forest, but everywhere.

13. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    I agree it sucks finding trash other people have left. This spring I fished some off of a handicaped pier at a public lake, and every time I would pick up at least 2 wal mart bags of trash. Even if I went every day it was like that. And by the way that IS what the back of my truck looks like, because if there is no trash can around I take my trash with me. I clean the back of my truck out twice a year whether it needs it or not, haha. grizzly

14. TNBigCat

TNBigCat New Member

State:
    TN
    Its pretty sad that the Wildlife Dept provides us a place to fish and that there are people out there that abuse it. Just this morning I saw a couple fishing and they had put duct tape all over the railings so they wouldn't lose their poles, then when they left they left all the duct tape and some trash behind them. I did see another man over picking up the trash that was left be other people, and he was doing it out of the kindness of his heart in 100% mid-afternoon. It's not asking too much that if you bring it in, you take it out. Help keep these fishing spots clean.
    Nick

15. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i like to make it look like i wasnt even there. keeps the animals happy!

16. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

hey folks I took a trash can down to one of the places I enjoy fishing. Nothing fancy just a 50 gallon barrel with the top cut out and I'll be doged on if somebody didn't stel the dern thing. I have another one to take down there but won't simply because of that one (*&UY%T$R#%^&*^#$^&%^&*#%Y^%&*^(&@#%$^*&^#%@$%^*(/ that stole the last one.

17. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    I too have found spots that people leave looking like a trash dump, my solution is that I take a fresh new garbage bag with me everytime that I go bank fishing and I take the first ten minutes filling up that new bag, sure sometimes it doesn't even make a dent but just maybe someone will see the effort and begin doing it as well. If people would only remember that it only takes ten minutes of your fishing time, as someone else said your kids will thank you

18. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    If they could catch some of the litter bugs and sentence them to a certain area to keep clean for a year they may put a dent in some of the trash.