Keep breaking transducer mounts

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by cat tamer, Oct 2, 2006.

1. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I have a humminbird 777 w/quad beam transducer and even with the break away mount, I keep breaking the stationary portion of the mount when runing the river by unseen debree , I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and if so what is a good cure besides not hitting the debree.

2. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    When you figure it out let me know. I've broken four mounts on my Lowrance in the last three years. I keep waiting for them to put out a thur hull transducer for aluminum boats. So far Vexilar makes one that has applications for other models but I haven't heard enough good things about them to spend 150.00 bucks.

3. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    yep me too guy's...We could mount them inside the hull...I am a LITTLE lazy and that could be a lot of work but it would fix the problem:roll_eyes:

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I can't picture breaking a mount unless it extends past the bottom of the boat or the transducer is mounted so tight it will not swivel when an obstruction is hit. Not saying it can't happen, but I would think the majority of broken mounts is because it was mounted wrong. Just checked the mount on my boat and the closest it is to the bottom is about 3/8 inch and the bottom of the transducer is about an inch below the bottom of the boat. It will swivel easily when it hits something. I only know somethings wrong when I don't get the correct readings on the display unit. LOL

5. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    in a perfect world debree under the boat goes from front to back but on the river the debree comes from every angle.

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    dude are you driving in a log jam or what iv never broke mine lol and i cant drive .

7. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I haven't ever broke mine either and the Ohio has some pretty nasty debri at times. Make sure the bottom of the mount is above the bottom of your boat. and also (as shucks said) it isn't screwed on too tight so if something does hit it, the transducer will swing up instead of breaking. or maybe get a metal mount machined, maybe outa titanium :big_smile:

8. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I break my mounts on one of my local lakes. There's tens of thousands of trees above and just barley below the water line. I'm only going about 5 miles a hour through the forest of trees. Now if you drive any slower you might get high centered on several trees (done that before) and faster I run the risk of prop or hull damage. When rolling over these trees in my boat I sometimes have a tree top or stump that runs under the boat lifting part of the boat out of the water until it pops out behind the boat and hits my transducer. :sad2: :eek:oooh: :tounge_out:

9. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    The only time I ever broke my transducer, I was bluegill fishing and the boat backed up in the current and hit a stump. It snapped the transducer in half, they are made to kick up, not down. that was a Lowrance transducer. I have since switched to garmin and I havent had a single problem yet, I guess maybe since its three times the size might have something to do with it or maybe I have just been lucky, who knows.

10. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I've had that problem a lot due to where I like to fish--right in the worst of the stumps, logs, etc. I finally glued it back on with silicone. It gives in every direction.

11. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    You could use a Thru-Hull transducer, instead of a transom mount. It will reduce the breakage as such.

Good luck & Have a good day, Elliot

12. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Does the Humminbird have a plastic transducer mounting bracket, or is it metal? If it's plastic, I think the source of your problem is obvious.

I've been up and down the Missouri River in conditions that would make most folks stay home (and they'll make me stay home next time too) - trees, limbs, stumps, logs, dimensional lumber, all floating downstream in mass hordes. Plus I've been as deep back in the trees on Truman Lake as you can possibly get, with the boat high-centered on numerous stumps.

Worst I've seen so far is the transducer flipping up (like it's supposed to) once or twice. And my transducer sits lower than most - the bracket is about as close to the bottom edge of the boat as possible, with the transducer juttnig out a good 1.5 to 2 inches below the bottom of the boat.

Lowrance transducers use metal mounting brackets and they won't break -- they might rip the mounting screws out of the transom, but they won't break.

13. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Your right the metal part or lowrance transducers wont break but if you accidently hit a stump or something when your backing up it will break the plastic transducer. There isnt a perfect transducer but the one that I bought for my new garmin depthfinder looks like its almost bulletproof but well find out.

14. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    The mount is plastic and I agree it is obvious, but are the lowrance mounts interchangable ? I broke another one today ...

15. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I orderd a vexilar alumaducer today, I will let you know monday how good it works.

16. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    thats what i've ended up putting on mine,and it works good for me..let me know what you think of yours when you try it out

jerry

17. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    And to think this was a year with not that much rain. If you got scared this year. You just wait for a year with more normal rain fall. Come to think about it I think out of the whole summer there was 2-3 days where I saw a lot of stuff float by.

18. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I fish with Primitivefrn and he has a vexilar and lowrance in his river pro boat with the thru hull mounts. From what Iv'e seen they work great. Only down fall Ive seen is not having the water temp guage but maybe he will chime in with his experience on them if he notices this thread or send him a pm and I'm sure he will tell you what he knows. I think your going to be happy with it though.

19. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Okay, for the stupid question of the day:embarassed: WHAT is a Vexilar Alumaducer ?

20. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    It is a transducer that is made by vexilar that is made to shoot through aluminum up to .150 thick without any signal loss. the only stupid question is one that is not asked.