Keep bluegills alive - I need some help

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by DELLIS, Mar 31, 2006.

1. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    What is the best way to keep blue gill alive between fishing trips got the bait tank anybody sure of the best food

2. ooonnnery

ooonnnery New Member

State:
    Bartlesville, Oklahoma
    I have always had success feeding them fish food that I had bought at a feed store. I feed them once a day like the instructions said, and the fish food isnt all that expensive. You might want to check into it.
    Bob

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Gold fish food.:)

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I leave a light on above the bait tank, it draws a lot of insects and they fall or fly in the tank.

5. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Try hanging a bug zapper over you tank, it works, and you kill a lot of skeeters that way.

6. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    fish flakes or the pellets work well

7. Steven Blair

Steven Blair New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I like the idea of hanging a bug zapper over your tank. I will have to try this. Thanks!! :smile2:

8. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Dan, whenever I keep gills, I don't hardly feed them. The more food you feed them, the more waste your going to have to deal with. You would be surprised how long they will survive with out food

9. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I put 52 bluegill in a old freezer I converted into a tank. Had a pump running on it for one whole day and it went out. The rest of the week I would go out there and spray water out of the hose into the tank to stir it up a little. They were alive and well 8 days later when I took them all out and baited up. Not one died. I never fed them. The water in the tank was kept cool, as it's always in the shade, and I think the hose water probably brought the temperature down a little too.

10. ohiocattracker

ohiocattracker New Member

State:
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Yea i made a 50 something quart cooler into bait tank i can keep about 25-30 gills alive for 5 days and 30-40 chubs for about three days sitting in yard as long as water doesnt get to hot.I have a bubble box on it for on the bank and drop a live well pump in it in my truck works good.I dont feed them because water builds up amonia and they die fast.