Keep A Fishing Journal This Year!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Jan 21, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you have never tried it, keep a journal this year of your fishing season. It's really interesting to look back at the different fish and be able to put them with the trip for one. It is also a very knowledgable piece of information to keep. I like to keep everything from date, water level, water temp, outside weather/temp, weight of fish, method caught, moon phase, location/ water system, bait used.. You name it. You can keep anything you want in it. Start a spreadsheet, or simply keep a written log on pen and paper. Write a story about that days trip. What ever interests you more. Start one this year if you have never tried, and I guareentee it will become more interesting to you each year after to do the same. It is not only a great way to learn, but a great way to keep memories close by, and look back on previous years! .....good fishing...rollo

2. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    thats a great idea we talked about that last year, think we are going to try and get it done soon as we can go fishing, you can get waterproof notebook at the local army surplus store and the weather wont ruin it

3. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yea, I've been thinking about keeping a journal,of catfishing , as, I have a tendency to rearrange events!!!
    I've kept journals of sorts for a lot of the motorcycling I've done, and It is informative and interesting to re-read through them..Sometimes it's only mileage, gallons and location, but, that is interesting if I happen to look through one of the pocket notebooks I've logged in through the years.
    I agree with the fishing journal, the least it would be is interesting reading at a later time. And, tracking patterns would be valuable to ,,,, Recall:smile2:

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Good advice Jason. I think I'll do that. :cool2:

5. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Good idea jason, I was planning on starting a journal this year. I can see throughout the years how useful they could be. Also like you said it can preserve the memory of that day.

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Obviously, if you mainly fish at night, then you probably aren't gonna keep a journal in the boat or on the bank. But, if you make a habit of writing or logging your data the next day, then you can do the same. You don't have to be a flathead guy, channel cats are fun also.. Never tried carp! LOL:smile2: rollo

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I do the same Rollo. I night fish so I copy the weather report before I go fishing and then when I get home I look at this link.

http://www.weather.gov/xml/current_obs/seek.php?state=sc

Shows the past 24 hours , which is when I was actually fishing. The only thing I write down at night, if I even do it , is the times I caught each fish. I like to look at the link above and establish a pattern .

A also write all the other stuff you mentioned ; )

8. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah i'm going to keep a nice journal this year. I just got a tripod not to long ago and I'm going to try to video as many catches as I can this year. That way I can relive it during these cold winter months ! :wink:

Matt AKA DESODE

9. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    gonna do that this year for the first time thanks for the reminder

10. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    my wifes work gave away these pocket daily planners which will make a great fishin journal, like a daily calander with room for jottin down anything ya want, i plan on only using it for flattys, was gonna list times, temps and weight of fish, mostly wanted ta keep track of how many i catch through out the year, i also want to use the handy cam this spring and get a couple nice ones on tape, that would be cool:wink:

11. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Started to do this with fishing and my mushroom hunting a few years back... Never rely on the old Memory:eek:oooh:

Very good idea thanks for posting it Rollo!!

12. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    It will improve your fishing success for sure!!

13. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Jason I can do you one better, here is my Journal for this year.
    Went to (insert place here)
    Weather warm/hot/raining
    Water - murkey LOL
    Kids - With me and driving me insane, they are catching gills like crazy
    Me sitting here attempting to relax watching the tips of my poles for ANY STINKING MOVEMENT :smile2:

14. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know what I'm doing this year; I said after I opened my birthday present. lol The kids got me a fishing journal.
    There is even room on the back of the page to write down the dumb ass things you catch your fishing buddies doing ! lmao :crazy:
    It's really nice.:big_smile:

Attached Files:

15. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    I KEEP A JOURNAL FOR FISHING.
    I HAVE A PLACE FOR THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION.
    DATE-PLACE. TEMP OF THE WATER-NAMES OF THE PEOPLE FISHING.
    LENGTH OF FISH-WEIGHT-TYPE OF FISH
    TYPE OF BAIT USED.
    AND TOTAL NUMBER OF FISH AND TYPES OF FISH CAUGHT THAT DAY AND A TOTAL FOR THE YEAR.

THATS WHAT I LISTED IN MY LITTLE BLACK BOOK.:roll_eyes::smile2:

16. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Yea jason iv been doin that for the past 3 yr and it realy helps out alot.

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I kept one for 18 years, I have looked over it alot

I kept track of everything moon phase air temps wind direction, everything but barametric pressure.

One thing has stood out to me.

Probably at least 90 percent of my flatheads came with west winds!

18. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Records from your past fishing trips will become as valuable as you sonar. I have kept them for years. A great asset for migration times and a place to start when you have been off the lakes and rivers for some time.

19. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am not sold on the moon phases yet. I thought for a while that full moon meant no fish, but that seems to not be the case. However, I haven't done as well in shallow water areas at night during a full moon than other areas. rollo

20. katsandsuds

katsandsuds New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I have decide to begin a journal this year as well. I would like to find a way to place it in a database of sorts, so that I can easily search and track trends of specific parameters like barometric pressure, water temps, etc. For now, I am using a paper journal, and will work on the computer stuff as time permits.