KeelShield Installation

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by Mutt, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Well just a few minutes ago my Keelshield came in that I won here on the BOC in december. Now it looks like I have a project to do. Thanks Keelshield and the BOC

2. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Lucky you, mutt. Congrats. Please do us a favor. Let us know how the install goes. OK ??

3. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I be interested in how it goes too! I have one and have not put it on yet! Hey Mutt, what color is yours? Mine is red and I have a yellow boat! Main reason, I have not put it on yet!

4. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i ordered the grey to kinda blend in with my tracker bassboat from what the instructions say on thier site the boat haul needs to be a min of 70f not jus tthe outside temps so i will more then likely wait till the weather warms up more before i install it looks like it will take a good chunk of the day too with all the cleaning and using the pad thing they give you to buff the boat then clean again i cant wait lol. now if i can talk a buddy of mine into helping me do it :p

5. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I tell you what, I'll help you! I'll bring my boat and we can do both of um same day!

6. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I will tell you, you will enjoy it, I use KeelShield all the time, when docks are taken out in the winter time you have to come up on shore to pick up the people your with and for them to get out of the boat, I have inspected mine several times and I have no marks in it at all. I will never own a boat without one.

It took me about 40 Minutes to install it on a 18 foot fiberglass boat. its very easy to install.

7. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    sounds like a plan Phile!
    Yea DH I been wanting one for a while kinda hard to swallow the price for one and I will say when i found out I won that keelshield here I was estatic lol. The wife said I was like a little kid at christmas time. Now if it ever warms up enough so I can put it on I will have it made. Dont have a way to heat the boat up itsself to do it so I will have to wait for warm weather to install it dont want it comming off. I do know I will feel better when beaching the boat with it some of the places I get into have nice big rocks lol they do a lot of damage if a person aint careful.

8. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Mutt: I can tell you I have come into shore in pretty bad weather and the chop is bad and hit the bank and it has been great for me, one thing you can do with that is take it in the house and warm up your keel shield over the heater from the furnace, and then get yourself a space heater and turn it onto the Keel of the boat and let it warm up real Good and it goes on good that way too, I have done one in the winter time and one in the summer on my other boat. and it has never moved.

9. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Thanks for the links! cant wait till i get this thing on my tracker.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    hey whistler beat me to it. i was gonna stick my link there too. my boat had a rib down the center that was concaved. it looked like a bad deal and was afraid it would not adhear good and allow water to enter behind it. if ya look close in the pics i added bondo and fiberglass strands into the concaved area and sanded smooth first to remove the concave in the rib just past where the shield went on. then siliconed with marine grade sealent. great prize for sure. i made it work. i didn't want to have to sell it.