Keel protection, guard, shield, on jon boats? who uses them and why?

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Big Dav, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I was just wondering if any of you guys with semi v hull jons use any type of keep guard, keep shield, or other type of keep protection on your boats? I have an 8ft shield that I won the auction on last year. i was going to put it on our deck boat but we are considering putting the deck boat up for sale and I don't want to put anything extra on it until we decide. Beside I can always get another shield for the deck boat if we keep it.
    Is it worth the effort to put the shield on a jon boat. I have looked at the front of this boat and it looks like it will be a major pain to put the shield down the keel of this Lowe jon boat.:angry: I have put several of these type of protectors on boats in the past. This one looks like it will be as hard or worse than any I have ever done.
    I was just wanting some opinions on keel protection on jon boats. I do beach my boats a lot because I fish a lot by myself. Plus I have to beach a lot for the wife and kids when they need off the boat for that moment of relief.:smile2::eek:oooh::roll_eyes::feel_good:

The second part of my question is why. I guess that would be more like why would you not use one on a semi v. I guess I am just trying to talk myself out of the work involved in installing this darn thing. They are murder on my hands.:confuse:

Thanks
    David