KDWP SAYS CRAPPIE ON THE BANK AT CLINTON

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by team salmon, May 1, 2009.

1. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    THE FISHING REPORT FOR CLINTON SAYS CRAPPIE ARE ON THE BANK - I KNOW THEY'RE NOT AS MUCH FUN TO CATCH BUT THEY SURE ARE GOOD ON THE TABLE - ANYONE BEEN UP AND CAN ANYONE VERIFY IT TO BE A FACT? IT SURE SHOULD BE TIME (LIKE A WEEK AGO) FOR THEM TO HIT THE BANKS - GOOD LUCK IF ANYONE GOES OUT AND PLEASE LET THE REST OF US KNOW HOW IT'S GOING - THANKS!!!

2. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    i bet they were last week.now the bank is prob 6 feet under!:smile2: i know limits were being caught at perry last week before all the rain.i would like to get out next week to find them but im thinking it might be pointless.:angry:

3. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I heard they were slaughtering them at the marine a couple weeks back at Clinton.

4. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Yep everyone that was out last weekend at all the area lakes that I know were catching them right against the banks.

But like Caleb said the spawning banks are way under water right now and it screws them up big time.You can still catch them but it is a little harder to target them.

Then if they start releasing water its pretty well over.Crappie will not, or need not drop eggs if the conditions are not right and high water can be one of them times.You will see the results in about 2-3 yrs on the lakes when they dont have a good spawn this yr.

5. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    WELL SOUNDS LIKE I'M LATE ON THE CRAPPIE BUT LOOK AT THE BRIGHT SIDE - I DID GET TO EAT A BUNCH OF SHROOMS THIS YEAR:wink: I CAN'T WAIT TILL THE CATFISH SPAWN GETS HERE - NIGHT FISHING WITH A LIGHTED BOBBER IS BY FAR SOME OF MY FAVORITE FISHING!!

6. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    My BIL got into them good a couple of days ago at El Dorado, working shallow rocks on the bank. The lake has come up a bunch since then though.

7. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Kyle I think most channels you are catching on banks are up there because of the crappie and the carp,gar on the banks spawing.They are in there eating eggs.

It is pre-spawn for the channels but they are on the banks for other reasons.
    When they go to spawn you cant/wont catch them.

Ever notice when you are catching them on the banks they are still full of eggs.

8. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I went to coon creek tonight for about a half hour. Probably lucky I didn't catch anything, it would've been a mess trying to get a fish through all the logs and plants with the high water levels. I didn't look very hard, but the best spot I could find had probably 15ft of brush between the bank and open water. Talked to a guy who was out in a boat and he said the spot out in front of where I was fishing is usually about 5ft deep and today his depthfinder was saying 11.5ft :eek:oooh:

9. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    Yes it's too early for the cats to spawn but come the last week of may into the first few weeks of june is when I'm refuring to the cats spawning on the rocks - and they are full of eggs then but not from eating them - the flatheads also can be found on the rocks spawn/ post spawn and the males will hit a green eared sunfish with a vingice - way I hear it is the green ears are natural predators to flathead nests and they'll hit em just to guard it - either way channels and flats on the chunk rock/rip rap with a bobber and live green eared sunfish and shrimp. That's the way I do it anyways.:wink:

10. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I catch a few cats on the rocks also.Its a great time and they hit like a freight train.

"Slapping cats on the rocks":eek:oooh:

11. kansasoutdoors

kansasoutdoors New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Not sure about Clinton, but I took the family to Lake Wabaunsee 2 afternoons between rains this past week and we stopped at 30 each day. We caught them in the coves fairly close to the bank. There are too many small crappie in that lake! Point is, many of them have moved to shallow water in that lake.