Kc to St Louis on the River

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by moriver, Jun 24, 2009.

1. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    So not that long back me and a fishing partner floated from Rulo back to Kc on the river. Great trip but now we want to make the trip from Kc to St Louis. Has anyone made that trip that can give me some details on what they ran into?
    I should mention that my floating involves a jon boat and motor. I am all for the guys that do it in a canoe and would love to see them, as long as it is from my boat.:eek:oooh:

2. wabah58

wabah58 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That would be so cool. How long do you think it would take? How big is the Jon. You should think about atleast having a couple poles out, drifting for the big cat.:wink:

3. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We are setting 4 days to do it. The boat is a 1754 with a 40 horse tiller. We plan on doing some fishing to say the least.

4. kurtk

kurtk New Member

State:
    Independence
    I had actually wanted to do that on a canoe. They have a yearly event where they launch on the Kaw side and float down. Of course I'd make room for a pole. :wink:

My only problem is that I can't find anyone dumb enough to do it with me.

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Sounds like a great trip! About halfway along you will come to a place called Cooper's Landing, http://www.cooperslanding.net/ , it's the only place you will find fuel right on the water. Another link that might help, http://missouririvertrips.com/index.html , lists all of the boat ramps and access points, along with info about services available near the ramps.

I've never done it, but have thought about it many times. I rode the length of the Katy Trail (bicycle) back in 2002, it follows the river pretty closely from Boonville to St Charles. Lots of pretty country, especially on the east side.

6. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    Sounds like a blast, I have made my goal to explore the whole Kansas river this year, I've almost got it done but not in 1 trip like that. Let us know how it turns out, wish I was going along. Good luck fishing!

7. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Do you have any pics from the Katy Trail trip Gary? That would be cool to see. :big_smile:

8. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Read quite a bit of info on katy trail when I was in Hermann last year for Oktoberfest....what a neat deal:cool2:

9. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We have thought about going from Rulo to Columbia, but is always too hard to find the time, and some one to drive the trucks and trailers from rulo to columbia. Maybe one of these years!

10. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Matt maybe a little cast and blast in early November. That would be kinda neat.

11. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm in.

12. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Anyone ever thought about a trip on the sippi from St Loie to New Orleans. I swear I will do it some day. I have no idea how long it would take but I think it would be the trip of the lifetime.

No I just have to convince someone to drive my trailer down there!

13. Pipe Rat

Pipe Rat Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dan I have been talking about doing the very same thing someday. The biggest hurdle is places to get fuel once you get below St. Louis. I think there is about a 500 mile stretch with no fuel on the water. A "Quimbys" guide will help you plan. To avoid this most people go down to the Ohio to the Tennessee to the Tennessee-Tombigbee waterway to the Gulf intracoastal waterway just below Mobile Alabama.

14. Pipe Rat

State:
    Missouri
    Dan it is 1,046 miles of Mississippi river from St. Louis to New Orleans.:big_smile::big_smile:

15. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    So you would have to pull your trailer down, then fly back up here. You would need a trailer for your boat so you could take plenty of fuel and potable water. You might be able to use the BOC to make arrangements for people to meet you at strategic points along the way so you could get fuel and such. As for the time it would take I guess you could contact a barge captain to see how long it takes a barge to make the trip. Should give you some idea how long it would take you. Just depends on how much fishing you planned to do. I think it would take me 2 months cause I would be wanting to fish every spot that looked good. What do you think Brandon?

16. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    So with the distance being 1046 miles is a fella were to travel at say 20 mph that is 52 hrs of travel time. So worst case if you could commit to say 5hrs of travel per day at 20mph you would be there in 10 days. I think a good two weeks would be a good guess when taking into account fishing stops etc. Of course I would prefer to do it Bob's way and take two months!

If I do this I want to do it all on the sippi, even with that 500 mile stretch. There is just something special about this river. I imagine Bob is correct...might be able to call on the BOC for some assistance on the way down and I'm betting I could convince my wife to drive the empty trailer down...to her it would just be a vacation in NOLA.

I will do this.

17. theonecatfishbob

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    lol it might be cheaper to drive it yourself and fly back. I understand the big easy can get a little pricy. :wink::smile2:

18. theonecatfishbob

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    You would need to make about 75 miles per day to make it in 2 weeks. About 50 miles if you stretched it to 3 weeks. I think you could do a good bit of fishing and make 50 miles a day. I would think you could float and make 50 miles in a day. The current should be about 5 mph. that would be 10 hrs floating.

19. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Many of you know what I do for a living, one day a few years ago I was on dayshift and was running by one of the local Missouri river ramps and came upon a guy that was packing up his camp. He was an English fella that had read many books on Lewis and Clark and had dreamed of coming to the US to make the river trek from Three Forks Montana to the Gulf of Mexico. I know, Lewis and Clark didn't start at the Gulf, but this fella decided to do it.

He was in a canoe that was filled up with all kinds of stuff. He had a bicycle to use to get supplies at stops he made. A small 5hp outboard motor he used only sparingly he said. He also was keeping an online Journal of his adventure and had the website on the side of his canoe. (Just wish I could remember what it was!)

He told me he had recently retired and had planned on the trip taking around four months or so....just slow and steady all the way down rolling with the river. I know when I spoke to him, he was anxious to get to down town St Charles as his wife was meeting him there for a couple day "holiday" then she was going to be waiting for him in New Orleans.

Now that would be quite the adventure...:big_smile:

20. Pipe Rat

State:
    Missouri
    I think I would shoot for 50 miles per day and plan on it taking a month. Ya got to plan on a little extra time here and there to take an extra day for R&R or that hot fishing spot.:wink: A once in a lifetime trip, I don't want to rush it if I don't have to.:big_smile: