KC cattin

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by brad kilpatrick, Sep 27, 2005.

1. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Hi all, I'm Brad new to the BOC. I live in kck and have recently purchased a Lowe Roughneck 2070 VTC Now I can fish the Ks. and MO. rivers. I've been out a few times with mixed results, puttin in at DeSoto and Kaw Point. Having better luck in DeSoto...but I'm scared to put the boat in there unless the river is up. Seems like it could get pretty dicy with the sandbars and a boat this big. I've all ready had to get out and push it across a sand bar. Therefore I need to find fish from Kaw Point. Its closer to home anyway, but where to start............... any suggestions?

2. Mr cat

Mr cat New Member

State:
    Lansing, Kansas
    Welcome Brad. I tried to launch from the Desoto ramp in early August, Weren't no water so I went on up to Perry Lake. No luck there.
    I've been fishing the Missouri river pretty much every since. Luck has been off and on. At least there's enough water to get around in.
    Get ahold of me if you need someone to kill bait with.

3. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    hey Mr Cat, I'm sure that I'll need a fishin partner before the season is up. Have You done any good on the Mo River lately??? heard its been pretty slow. I was out last sunday morning launched at Kaw point went up the kaw using cut shad not even a bump. only stayed in one spot for about twenty min then moved. so I covered a lot of water Like i said I've had better luck up around desoto caught a 50# flat 4th of july weekend but I have not dared to go back as of yet. The new boat is Big 20'6" long 8'beam 90hp Merc center console I like to have a lil water under it if Ya know what I mean. Anyway I'm going out to kaw point tomorrow night I'll post and let You know how I do. keep in touch and we'll get together before the season is up....
    Good luck and good fishin' Brad

4. jeremy park

jeremy park New Member

I do alot of bank fishing in the kaw mostly in front of the grinter house I havent had much luck except for gar :mad: and some small cats and soft shells I'm still wateing for a big boy any one know any good spots from the bank?

5. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    jeremy, Not sure where grinter house is??? please enlighten me. I do most of My fishin from a boat maybe you could join me some time? could always use the company.

6. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    How strong is the current on the MO and Kansas Rivers, When I fished the the Kaw at 435 it seemed fairly slow, when i was up in Parkville the MO river looked like it was really movin. What is the minimum size motor that you would recommend for river fishing?

chris

7. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Chris, the Missouri is usually moving at 8mph. The Kaw is much slower except obvisously during high water. I've seen motors as small as 5hp on the Kaw. Although I recommend sticking with a 10hp as a bare minimum. On the Missouri you need atleast a 25hp but bigger is better on the Mo. I don't think it would be possible to have too much motor on the Missouri. Speed with kill you on the Kaw, you will end up eatting sand and getting stuck.

Personally I'm looking for a 16' heavy duty all-weld wide jon with a 40+ hp for the Missouri. I just need to locate the funds to be able to buy one. LOL :glare:

8. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I am trying to figure out how much it will cost me to set up a jon boat for the rivers. I am in the same boat, the money is holding me back! :)

chris

9. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    chris, let me know when ya get back to Kansas figure maybe we could try some of your spots on the MDC and some of mine on the kaw/Mo. I've got a boat for both rivers a lowe 2070vtc W/ 90hp merc and a lil coleman crawdad. used to dump the coleman in the MDC all the time I've got a big rope to pull it back up the bank. It can be launched about anywhere

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    8mph? I always thought it was around 3-4mph. Oh well dont matter. The kaw really does run slow when at normal pool the missouri it's not moving all that fast as it was earlyer in the year. It's down a lot right now. Well maybe not a lot about at winter stage. I get by with around 2 oz. sinkers on the kaw and 5oz durring normal pool on the missouri. So maybe 4oz. now on the Mo. still always use 5 though. As for boat motors. I seen people with 10hp on the Mo. bigger is always better though. You just want to make sure you have enough power to push your boat up river when the water is really moving. Personly anything under 16 foot and 25hp is to dinky for me to get into on the mo.

11. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    Brad
    I will get a hold of you when I get back, I love fishing the MDC its quite lots of trees and cover, just got to be carefull about private property.

Chris

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    "Personly anything under 16 foot and 25hp is to dinky"

Lol, you should see me fly upstream with my 5hp. Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm going frontwards or backwards. I figure 2 miles from the ramp is just about my limit on the MO. It's more than enough for the Kaw, though, which is what I bought it for.

13. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    LOL

I am going to be helping out selling x-mas trees this year for a part time job, the money that I will make will be going towards the jon boat.

chris

14. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Hey Gary at least you have a boat brother!! I have a friend with a 14 foot boat with a 10hp on it. I keep telling him he needs to take it out on the Mo. he never does though. I do know if i owned it I would take it out. In all honesty the river is not that bad it's just pain trying to land anything over 30 pounds in smaller boats.