KC Bait shops-where are the best for catmen

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by mustad1, Mar 17, 2008.

1. mustad1

mustad1 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am going to be relocating soon to KC. This is really a dream of mine since I love to fish the Kaw and will also enjoy learning the ins and outs of the missouri. So where do you go for bait and tackle dow nthere? I am a real sucker for fancy fishing tackle but I love the ol riverside bait shops too. So where are they?
    I have been to ET's out in Linwood although I understand it is under different management. Who wouldn't love a shop with a HUGE catfish painted on the outside???

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Minnesota Bait is probably about the best. But honestly, for bait you will come out miles ahead if you catch your own. Fresh shad and carp can be caught in a cast net, and goldeye can be caught in the spring in cast nets or by rod and reel. Bluegill and sunfish also make great baits and are fun to catch on an ultralight rig.

What can you expect to find at a bait shop for catfish? Jars of pickled frozen shad that rarely catch anything. Goldfish, which are a poor substitute for easy to catch sunfish, nitecrawlers, stinkbait, and maybe some long frozen skipjack or carp at $6 each. And a few more exotic baits like leeches and river worms.

For tackle you have lots of choices, including Cabelas, 2 different BassPro’s, and Rogers up in Liberty. Minnesota Bait has about the best tackle shop selection I’ve seen, and a lot of times they will be cheaper than the big retailers.

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Fortywoods in Blue Springs is another fun place for just looking around.

4. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    kool info Gary, You are leading him in the right direction...

5. mustad1

mustad1 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    great response to my questions! Wowza. I am ready to move already. Where are some good bait catching places in the northland area? I suppose there are some small lakes in the housing developments for catching panfish. Also, I plan to live in Missouri. What does an out of state Kansas annual licence cost? Can you fish the MO river with just a MO licence? Not exactly sure how everything runs down there. I plan to check it all out my first few months down there as my wife is not moving till June....Leaves me a lot of time to fish!!!!!
    I just like to check out the shops to see the big pictures on the wall, a few stuffed cats, and maybe a bargain on a rod/reel from time ot time. I can guarantee you the guys in the bargain cave at Cabelas will know me on a first name basis in short order. :big_smile:

More ideas anyone????

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Too many questions to answer all at once, but I'll pick off a few...

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/fishing/fishing_fees - you'll probably want the 3rd pole add-on permit as well.

You can fish from a boat anywhere on the Missouri River with a Missouri resident fishing permit. You're not allowed to bank fish from the Kansas side or attach a trotline or other "device" on the Kansas side without a Kansas permit.

7. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
  8. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I like Minnesota and Little Blue bait shop, both have about everything, and are always helpful.

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    You are on the right track with the small lakes and streams. I'm on the south side and not as familiar with the northland, but most any water will be loaded with sunfish.

The Kansas license will set you back about $45 with 3rd pole permit. If you buy both Missouri and Kansas you will end up with about $60 invested, regardless of which state you live in. You can fish the Missouri River from boat, or from the Missouri or Kansas side bank with just a Missouri license. I recommend getting both licenses to keep your options open, but you can always get started with just the Missouri license. Truth is you will only find a handful of places where you can get down to the river without trespassing or risking death by chigger bites.

Here is a link to the Kansas Regulation Summary:
    http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/content/download/905/4565/file/Kansas Fishing Regulations 2008.pdf

Page 8 talks about the reciprocal agreement with Missouri:
    "License Requirements: Anglers with either a valid Kansas or Missouri fishing license may fish any flowing portion and backwaters of the Missouri River and any oxbow lake through which the river flows.They may fish from and attach any legal fishing equipment to the land adjoining these waters."

10. JoeFriday

JoeFriday New Member

State:
    Indep. missouri
    Are there any bait shops around KC that sell good size bait fish 6-8 inches? Ive looked just about everywhere, i have found some, BUT to buy them you have to order them in bulk and i dont have any means of storing them.

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Catch your own bait. You'll have a whole lot better results when you go fishing and you won't be wasting money on some frozen mystery meat...

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Joe, I don't have an answer for you. I've heard that there is a fish farm east of the city that will sell little carp in small quantities, but I don't know their name or exact location. Maybe someone who has been there will see this and speak up.

13. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Mr. T, thats true, I've sometimes wondered what was in those jars lol...

14. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Kendrick, I tried to answer your PM earlier, but it says your mailbox is full.

15. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Guess I blew it in my reply - that's what I get for trying to answer off the cuff. Gary's response is correct - you *may* attach trotlines, etc. on the Kansas side of the Missouri River without a Kansas permit.

Missouri regulations I know; Kansas, not so much... :wink:
    Thanks for the clarification, Gary.

16. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think Minnesota Bait carries some larger baits when people are running trotlines more. Burtons in Smithville usually has some large goldfish during the summer time and I believe he gets his through MN Bait.

17. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Is anybody getting out this weekend and where? Taking 4 kids to James A. Reed on Thursday with nothing but stinkbait to see how we do.

18. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yep I'll be hitting it this weekend sometime. It's time to start hitting the river hard.

19. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Not *everything* that comes frozen in a jar is worthless -- Orient Express is a pretty mean bait. It's available @ Minnesota B&T.

20. mustad1

mustad1 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    boy oh boy oh boy oh boy.....went into minn bait yesterday and saw the rack of big cat rods and the cabinet full of big abu reels and the tank full of goldfish and wowza, it was better than hooters for me!!! (both places smell like fish though) anyway, told the guy working there if i land my job there, he will definately know me on a first name basis. the best part of that place is, my wife would never find it!!!!!!!