Kayaks and fishing

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by Muskrat24, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Muskrat24

Muskrat24 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I recently purchased a Pelican Pursuit 100 DLX kayak and was wondering what you fellas do to rig it for fishing?

Here are the specs and generic pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Length- 10'
    Beam- 28"
    Depth- 13"
    Cockpit width- 19"
    Cockpit length- 39.5"
    Max Capacity- 275 lbs

2. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What type of fishing are you planning on doing out of it? That could help in advice on how to rig it.

I would start out with a scotty's rod holder ... got to have at least one pole holder. I would also consider getting yourself some leashes for your pole and paddle. You can make them yourself or you can buy ones pre-made. Basically anything you can tie around your pole and fasten to your boat so that you don't accidently drop your pole in and lose it. Some people like to put on an anchor system, I have one and never use it though. What I would suggest is getting some big strong clip and attaching a piece of rope to it. Then you can clip the rope to trees and stumps and use that to anchor. If you are in to lure fishing you can attach a piece of carpet to the front of the boat and then use that to hold your lures.

Let us know what you want out of it and I am sure we can advise!

3. Muskrat24

Muskrat24 New Member

State:
    Ohio
  4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would be a bit concerned about the floating bucket because of the drag it would cause. I think it would make the yak harder to steer. At least the places where I kayak fish it would get stuck on sticks coming out of the water a lot. I have seen some really neet bait bucket ideas for kayaks if you look around you may find a better one. There may be a way to build one in to that back hatch. One very common thing you see with kayak fishing is people will take a milk crate and attach it to the top of your yak. You could use those straps on the back hatch and attach a milk crate to the back and you could have a nice bait bucket in there. I have seen bait buckets for kayaks that reciculated the water and everything.

Another nice thing to have kayak fishing is a lip gripper. You are not going to have a lot of room for a net so those are nice, just make sure to attach a small bouy to it so you don't lose it.

Also make sure to check all the regulations there is a lot of gear you need to carry on a kayak.

5. Muskrat24

Muskrat24 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Could you correct me if I am wrong but for where I am going to be kayaking really (Lakes, reservoirs, and streams) in Ohio I would only need running and anchor lights along with a life jacket. Other than that as long as I am not on the muskigum or OHio river, or Lake Erie or its harbors that would be all that I need. I mean I will most likely have a audio/visual distress signal, and a hand pump.

6. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well in Ohio you have to carry your registration on you and also display numbers on the boat or have an alternative registration sticker. I really hate that law. Paper registration on a kayak makes no sense lol. You have to have a PFD. Your right the visual distress signal is only req on lake erie and sound signal is required on federall waters and I honestly don't know where that is so I just always have a whistle. I guess there are not as many requirments as I remembered. I would get a hand held bilge pump they are great to have!

I am pretty sure you only need a lantern and an anchor light, and that is only between dusk and dawn.

What part of Ohio you in?

7. Muskrat24

Muskrat24 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ya I have it registered, numbered, and stickered. Although those numbers don't hold to well in 65+ mph winds lol. I have battery operated lights and a PFD so those won't be a problem. Just need to get the bildge pump and a few replacement numbers that didn't hold up to driving around. On the weekends I live in Richland County inbetween Clearfork Res., Pleasant Hill Res., Charles Mill Res. and Knox Lake. During the weekday I live down in nelsonville ohio going to school at Hocking College. Got the Kayak because it is half the weight as my jon boat which is good because my jeep doesn't do well with to much weight. I have 32 tires on it and there isn't much room as it is and adding an extra 50 pounds Id be rubbing like crazy. Plus a kayak would be better on a river for I want to do with it. Thank you for the reply and the pm.

8. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am down in Cincinnati myself. You will be amazed by the kayak. You can get right on fish and they totally ignore you. When you are out there and quit you see all kinds of things that you would never see in a real boat. I am amazed time and again just how close to your yak you can catch fish.

9. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Check out madfroggear.com. They make equipment that you can mount on your SIK and then mount all rod holders, and fishfinder on that. Keeps you from drilling holes in your deck.

As for bait bucket. I would take a section of PVC pipe 12"-24". Probably no bigger than 4 inch diameter. Put screw in caps on both ends, and drill small holes all over it. Attach a rope to one end, hook it to your kayak and you have a bait holder that is more efficient to pull through the water. I've also used one of those mesh bags for my bait but bluegills get caught up in the mesh.

Good luck, post some pics after you get it outfitted.

10. Muskrat24

Muskrat24 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the replys everyone. I'll get some pics when I get my camera working again. But I'll make sure to take them.