Kayaking Mt. Storm

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by jeremiad, Jun 19, 2007.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I plan on making my annual pilgrimage to Canaan in August. I usually make my way to Mt. Storm at least on of the days that I'm there.

This year I will have a Heritage Redfish Angler kayak for the first time. This will allow me to get away from the shoreline along the road.

Do you have any experience with boating Mt. Storm? Are there any good fishing areas not too far from the boat launch (within reasonable paddling distance)?

I know that it's a pretty good haul even across the deep part of the lake to the far shore, so my best guess would be to follow the shoreline east of the launch.

If you have kayaked the lake, then your input would be invaluable!

2. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    I`ve not been on a kayak on the lake, but I have been on it in a flat bottom john boat. After you cross the deep part at the ramp. You can stay along the left shoreline for bass and bluegill. The lake isn`t as deep as go further back. Once you get to where you can see the bottom you`ll see the cats everywhere. they are small 8 to 12 in. But there are lots of`em. Hope this helps a little the lake is clear without much cover.

3. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    Welcome to the BOC, Allena!

And thanks for the great tip on accessing the lake...I will definitely keep your input in mind.

Wow, I don't feel quite as bad in pulling in "only" a 16" catfish out of the lake last year! I have heard that the warm water stunts their growth, though. Perhaps in the "cooler" outer reaches of the lake the fish are bigger.

4. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    Well, I did fish Mt. Storm last week, but with no boat. I decided that I didn't have the time to use the kayak during the week enough to make it worth the trouble of hauling it.

I wish differently now.

I fished along the rip-rap near the dam. I caught two walleye, which is a first for me, but no catfish.