Kayaking for cats?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by Zonaman, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    I've been toying with the idea of trying fishing for cats from a Kayak once or twice this year. Any of you guys out there do it regulalrly? I'd like to hear about the wheres & hows.

Thanks.

2. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    hey manĀ»
    i dont have a kayak, but i do love going out on my canoe.,. i dont think you are going to want to fish from it, but rather use it to get yourself into places you cant get your boat... also, using a small boat like that forces you to bring only the bare essentials. : good luck!

3. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Ive never done it but im sure it would be a challenge.

4. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I think there is a canoeing/ kayaking thread on here.
    I have been considering it for a coupla years, drooling over the sites on internet showing catching 150lb+ marlin and sailfish, ajs etc. regularly caught off of kayaks.
    I don't think they were caught in the santee/cooper tho:embarassed:

5. Blue709995

Blue709995 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I do all of my fishing from a 16ft two person old town loon. Most of the time it just gets me to the fishing spot lol. I used to have a bass boat but had to sell it to pay for college... let me tell you as soon as I possibly can I am getting a boat again. It is fun getting into backwater areas with the yak but for the most part fishing from the kayak for hours is very uncomfortable thats why I usually kayak to a good location and fish from shore.

But if your like me and it is the only way you can get on the water and gett away form the weekend shore fisherman than it is a good deal. My friend and I tow a little raft behind the Kayak when we fish all night just for storage. It is good for fishing the rivers. We have used it to get up the rivers and camp/fish at bartlett, rosy, and pleasant.

6. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    what about getting a old canoe and pulling it behind the yaks?
    I sold one once to some yakers who were going camping,fishing in the everglades and that was their plans.

7. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I fish both fresh and saltwater from a Kayak. The most popular for fishing are the sit on top types. I use a "Ocean Kayak" prowler Big Game equipped with GPS and fish finder. Don't know why you would need to tow anything. With the in hull storage and tank wells I can carry everything needed for a weekend camping trip (up to 600 pounds) . Just caught a 16 pound Channel cat a couple of weeks ago and we catch redfish, seatrout, black drum and sharks on a regular basis. 20 to 25 pounds is usually about the biggest we catch but now and then a much bigger one is caught. Always keep the drag set light and a knife handy in case I need to cut one loose in a hurry.
    Search "Kayak fishing" on the internet to learn more...

8. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Jerry's right...people catch marlin, dorado, halibut, thresher shark, and lots of other big game fisk from their yaks. With the sit-on-tops, you can outfit them pretty well. Google it...lots of info, pics, and several decent kayak fishing forums...I've thought about going this route and researched it a bunch.

Mark

9. badams

badams New Member

State:
    california
    Another good thing about a kayak is that if you want to ocean fish out of one you can launch it from shore. I'm pretty sure you can anyway. You try launching anything else like that in California and you wont be on the water long before you get busted