Kayakers in Oklahoma

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by tdheater, Jan 11, 2008.

1. tdheater

tdheater New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Being new, until I post 10 times I don't get all the bells and wistles of this site, so I'm postin' again. One of my newest toys I got this fall is a kayak. Are there any other okies out there paddling for cats? I figure most got boats but drifting along riprap for channelcats sounds like fun and my yak met two big requirements. Cheap and doesn't take up much room.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Tobey, getting to those bells and whistles is a lot easier than most people think. You don't have to post 10 different threads, just 10 posts. So when someone tells you welcome, you come right back and tell them thanks. You would probably have your 10 posts within a half hour..

As far as you question about those funny boats, I have seen one guy at Guthrie Lake who used one, and one guy on Arcadia Lake. Guthrie I can see, but the wind was blowing at Arcadia and I think that guy must have failed his latest intelligence test. Whatever busts your bubble though. LOL. Keep posting, you'll make it.

3. gbigskin

gbigskin New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    a yak is the boat of choice for me to set and run limb lines. also works good to run weighted jugs. i set jugs with my regular boat then run them with my yak. my yak works well on lakes as well as the rivers and feeder creeks. have also taken cats with rod and reel on it and it is a blast being towed around by a good blue. have a fish locator on it and use a small cast net to catch my bait. you get some strange looks from some folks but you will be the one catching fish and having fun.

4. tdheater

tdheater New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I plan on getting a fishfinder for yak, any suggestions? Sportsman and Basspro have an eagle finder for about 70 bucks. Thanks for the responses.

5. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I am buying one this spring for the very same thing. I live in Blackwell and plan to fish the rip-rap at kaw for them channels out of it. There is a pretty good forum on kayaks and canoes here too. Oh, and by the way, I don't care how silly I look getting towed around by a big blue or flat, or channel for that matter, or how silly I sound hoopin' and hollarin', 'cause I'll probably need surgery to remove the smile off my face.

6. gbigskin

gbigskin New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i use eagle 168 portble that uses d cells for power. this eliminates need for a 12 volt but there are some very small 12v out there that willl do the job. about all these low end units will do is help find structure and depth but that is all i was looking for on my yak. i suggest keeping all gear secured to some type of float. a milk crate with a piece of foam fitted in the bottom and 1 1/2in pvc for rod holders makes good storage. i have laynards attached to mine so i can clip them to the reels. i also put cleats on each side of the yak which are very useful.

7. Ack

Ack New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I don't own a kayak, but I love to rent one and float the Illinois river near Tahlequah. If you own your own you can pay one of the float places a few bucks to bus you and your kayak up river and then you'll float back to your parked car.

It's a blast to go alone on a 6 or 12 mile kayak trip down the river with your pole. I like the take my time, cast around all of the good spots, pull over and fish a while when I find a nice spot... Maybe stop and swim a while if the mood strikes me. I usually stretch it out to last all day. Its a lot better to go on a weekday if you can because there will be almost no one out there and its very peaceful.

I've never tried kayaking in a lake with deep water... I'm not sure how I'd handle trying to land a huge catfish from a small unstable kayak in water that was too deep for me to stand up in! :smile2:

8. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Welcome to the wonderful world of kayak fishing.
    I use a low priced Humminbird fish finder, cost about $150 or so. I have the transducer installed inside the hull of the yak with marine "Goop" so no holes required. Also as mentioned before I use a small sealed home alarm system battery (rechargeable). Search the web for "kayak fishing" you will learn a lot !!! Also look at the kayak/canoe section here on the BOC...

9. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    i used the eagle on my boat and i thought it was well worth the price. it worked just fine finding the baitfish and the ones worth catching. i never had any problems with it, so i imagine it would work just fine for your kayak.