Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw on the news a 19 year old kayaker went missing on the Walnut downstream from the Agusta area last night. They called off search at 2 AM and resumed this morning but the Walnut is MOVING in my area so he could be anywhere between Agusta and Toronto Lake.

Keep your eyes peeled if you are out fishing the Walnut.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Knowing that river the way I do I hope it ends on good note. But it is the mighty little Walnut. It can get very dangerous in a hurry if your not familier with her. There are a ton of log jams and orher obstructions going the full stretch of the river. My prayers go out to the family and hope they find him.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Knowing that river the way I do I hope it ends on good note. But it is the mighty little Walnut. It can get very dangerous in a hurry if your not familier with her. There are a ton of log jams and orher obstructions going the full stretch of the river. My prayers go out to the family and hope they find him.
That's no joke. I've fished the Walnut south of Augusta for years, and I've kayaked it myself. If you don't know the river very well it can be very dangerous in places. I hope they find him and he's ok. If I still lived close I'd volunteer to help look..

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I was just told by my Mothern law they found the boys body today at 3pm, he was one of her past students. There was 2 of them but she wasn't sure the condition of the other boy. They were only 19yrs old. My prayers go out to there familys.

·
Banned
3,543 Posts
That's to bad. I heard on the radio earlier today the first one was rescused and flow to a hospital with hypothermia. I also heard they accidently went over a damn. I am not familiar with the Walnut but any time you go over a dam it has a chance of ending very bad.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Wow! I always hate hearing this kind of news. Wonder if these guys were wearing life jackets. I didn't used to wear mine, but last year I started wearing it religiously. On those dams though that turbulence can keep sucking you back in, so hard telling if it would have helped. Really too bad.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Below dams life jackets will do more harm than good.
I feel for the families, that has to be tough. He was too young.
But what in the heck were they doin on the river when it was flooded? Did they not know about the dam? Id imagine all of Augusta knows about the dam. Over the years there has been alot of fatalities there.
That river when its flooded is no place for a big boat, let alone a kayak.
Prayers go out to the family of the victim.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.