Kayak repair. Plastic or PVC???

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by bootshowl, Jun 5, 2008.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Got a younger buddy with a small kayak he's uses quite a bit. Bought it second hand and it has a leak on a seam. It's one of the plastic units. Says he's tried several repairs with no success.
    Any tips from someone who's been there, or a link I can offer some help from.
    I always thought JB Weld would fix near everything, LOL.
    Thanks.
    :big_smile:

2. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    check with a local kayak dealer, most of them either do repairs or know someone who does. you can also check on the internet with the company that built the yak you have and see what they recomend...

3. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I've heard of folks using ABC plastic which can be heated to bond with other plastics. Is it a big crack, hole, or just wore through?

4. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Appears to be right along a seam in the hull. It's under a pretty good scuff mark, so is probly the result of an impact. It's not bad, just a nuisance and he keeps trying different products. He's been using silicone sealant, and then replacing it before each trip. It looks to me to be made of the same stuff used in gas and water lines now, and they are heat welded......
    :big_smile:

5. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Fiber glass without the fiber or epoxy would probably work

6. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    it is probibly made of polyproplene or similar material. If it is the only way to fix it properly is welding.

I had a poly 2 man bass boat at one time that devoped a hole in it. I tryed just about everything under the sun (fiberglass, epoxy, jb weld ETC. ) nothing worked for more then a couple of trips. finaly found a guy tht could weld it, and that did the trick.

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I once repaired a tear in a cheap plastic canoe for someone in a do or die situation with nothing to lose,I used a pencil torch and the old type clear plastic lid of a Maxwell House Coffee can.It was still going strong two years later until it burnt up in a fire.Practice first on something if it is just two coffee can lids.

"Shoe Goo" and "Goop" works on many plastics.Sand to rough it up if possible.

Harbor Freight 50 Plastic welding rods #41602 at $5.99,Plastic Welding kit #41592 at $29.99.I heard of this being used with good results for repairs on plastic auto parts,Children's Toys and random items.You have to know your plastic and use the correct rod.I was told that UV damaged stuff was a wasted effort.Hope some of this helps.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

8. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    google "whaley welding"