kayak Q@A

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by Vukhufu, May 27, 2008.

1. Vukhufu

Vukhufu New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey all! I have been reading about fishing from kayak on here and man it sounds like a blast better than the bank! I have a few questions for all you river fishing kayakers...

1) how dangerous is it, what safety precautions are mandatory?
    2) do you need any kind of boating permit or license?(besides fishing license)
    3) how much do they cost?
    4) is the investment worth it?
    5) do you launch and plan to hit a destination downstream or paddle back up?
    6) what do you use for an anchor?
    7) is a kayak viable for say a 12 hour trip? would you have enough room for food/drink/bait/tackle
    8) how do you manage 2 poles in a little kayak?
    9) any other useful info you may have?

I looked into these belly-boats and quickly decided I wasnt dangling my legs in the river but a kayak sounds cool. I know, I know.. just buy a boat yeah? I'm looking for a cheaper alternative since I mainly fish alone. Plus a few years back my brother and I took a v-bottom down the scioto and bottomed out quite often where I had to get out and pull the thing, right until i stepped into a hole that went from knee deep to over my head!~

When I say I fish alone.. feel free to change that! You provide a killer fishing hole or boating excursion thats new to me and I'll provide the killer! <cough>

10) is kayak fishing on a river safe while smoking a big blunderbuster?

2. GOLD FISH

GOLD FISH New Member

State:
    portsmouth/ohio
    you coudn't pay me to take a kayak down the river, ohio or scioto. but i have canoed down the scioto that wasn't to bad. we did turn over about 10 times. beer may have had something to do with that.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    There are all kinds of kayaks.
    Some for the experienced and some for the beginner.
    When alot of people think kayak they first think of sport yakking white water with spray skirts and rolling over.

A "camping" kayak sounds like it might fit the bill. They can carry 150 pounds of gear or so and are quite stable.

4. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Don't know about ohio, but hear in Georgia you have to always have a life jacket on board. You don't have to wear it or even have a quick access, it just has to be on board. We don't need any permits or such. They can cost anywhere from $250 into the thousands. When I fish a river I always paddle upstream so I can drift downstream and fish with ease. i don't have an anchor, but have heard of others using old window weights. Longer trips will require a larger kayak with more storage. If you are in shallow water and casting lures only one pole really can be used. I use two poles pointing starboard and port when trolling with lures and use two poles catfishing still in the same matter. All I can say is its mostly trial and error. No one can tell you the best to use. You'll have to test drive them and get the on that best fits your needs. I love mine. Can fish places you would never be able to walk to and a boat couldn't do any better. Good luck and I hope you find what you want.

5. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Search the web for "kayak fishing" you will find several sites that will give you all the information you need. Creteus is correct. Find a dealer that will let you test drive several types. A SOT (sit on top) is the most popular type for fishing and some models can carry up to 600 pounds of weight. Many types of anchors or stake out poles are used. Most states do not require that a kayak be registered as long as it is paddle powered only.
    My "Ocean Kayak Big Game" is not a "little kayak". At almost 14 feet long and 34 inches wide it can fish 4 rods if anchored and is equipped with a fishfinder, GPS and marine radio. Do some research and you will be surprised what a "Fishing Kayak " can do.....

6. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Probably the beer...:tounge_out:

Seriously, with, ah, significant hours spent in my Heritage Redfish 12' SOT, I have not yet been in the water. I will admit that I have only fished lakes during this time, but feel confident that river fishing would be no different.

Sit-on-tops are what you want to investigate. Vukhufu, if you are really interested in kayaking, check out KFS and their associated forums; they sell all kinds of "stuff" for "kayak fishing." Google it.

There, you can find out what kind of kayak would be best for you, as well as the prices of all of your gear. Shop around...you may be able to get a better deal elsewhere, but unlikely.

I found a boat demo deal that could not be beat. I went back to KFS for the package deal that got me the life vest, cart, paddle, and tether all for a good price. The kayak was an angler model that already had a good seat, rod holders, and anchor system installed.

Welcome to the BOC!

7. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fish out of my kayak in lakes, rivers etc. it is great. I think it is MUCH MUCH more stable than a canoe. Most kayaks have pole holders installed, it is easier for me to fish two poles in a kayak then a joh boat. Mine has an anchor and an anchor trolly that I can move to the front or back of the boat. I usually just tie off to something like a branch in the river though. You need to have a life jacket, but there are other safety things I would suggest. A sharp knife is necessary, and it is good to have a whistle in case you are in trouble. A kayak mantra would be if you love it leash it, so tie up anything you don't want to accidently lose. Also in big water a flag would be a good idea. I personally paddle a Native Ultimate 14.5, it is the most comfortable thing I have ever fished out of, and you can stand in it too. I have fished for over 10 hours and only left from the sun beating me down, the seat is very comfortable. I landed a Channel that was the fattest Channel I have ever seen the other day and over 24 inches long, it didin't even pull the boat at all. I saw this thread originally in the Ohio section before it was moved, if you are in Ohio you have to register the boat. You can get info from the ohio DNR site, i think I paid $20.00 for three years of registration. I fish mine all the time from the Cincinnati area, if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

8. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I think everybody has given you good advice to get started. When it comes to river fishing it depends on what river you want to fish on. I've been on several rivers that are slow moving (2mph or less) and they are what I would consider relatively safe to anchor and fish alone on. I live near the missouri river and you cant compare that river fishing experience to others. You have to respect the power and under currents of the MO. Its a whole different ball game. On the MO the current is about 4-5 mph, so you almost have to float downstream.
    The best advice I could give would be to wear a PFD at all times if you are on a simular powerful river.
    I use sections of chain for my anchor and can add or take off sections as needed.

9. Ol'Yeller

Ol'Yeller New Member

State:
    Texas
    I fish the Brazos River in varying water conditions. I use a rope and chain to drift in high water. Do not anchor in any water over 2 mph. I love it, because it requires a lot of focus, and even if you don't catch anything you get a good workout. I also fish an OK Big Game. It is easy to maneuver, and much more stable than any canoe I have paddled.

10. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    1) Anything can be dangerous if you don't use a little common sense.
    2) No permit of any kind at least in Kansas.
    3) paid less than $400.00 for mine (warehouse liquidation) you can expect 4 to 8 hundred unless you want to spend more.
    4) I liked mine so much I went back and bought a second one just like it so I could take the kids and friends. Apply this answer to question one also
    5) I have done both. Would depend on how far you plan to go.
    6) Made my own. you don't need much. 3 pounds is plenty. I use a brush clamp lots too.
    7) mine are very small only 9' and I have room for overnight trips if I don't get carried away with junk. I have room for 4 rods a bait bucket with aerator and 12 pack size cooler all on deck. Tent sleeping bag and cooking kit all go inside.
    8) Rod holders I have one center in front, 2 angled to the sides in back and one I can add to the side of my cooler that will hold 2 rods if needed.
    9) Buy one you will love it!

I also fish alone most of the time. I fish creeks and small rivers mostly. No problem to get out and drag through shallow water and I put it on my sholder and carry it to the water most of the time. Only 38 lbs empty. I can put in pretty much anywhere I want

10) Can't answer that one as I have not fired one one of those in years. That does tend to affect the common sense I mentioned above.

11. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Some of your fishing kayaks are really stable platforms. I'm a big guy and I can sit side ways with the feet and legs in water and she wont flip. There is plenty of room for gear, two rod holders built in, dry storage up front, storage in rear, will hold up to 450lbs, I have a prowler 13 fishing kayak, when I'm not in it my son has it out fishing in Pickwick lake for bass. Check out you tube and you can see kayak fishermen catching marlin and sailfish.

12. Vukhufu

Vukhufu New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Wow havnt been able to check back in a few.. Thanks for all the feedback! Props to KTR for 1-10!! I'll take your advice and try it out.

Soon as Bush bumps me my bonus, baboom! Man Overboard!

13. jga

jga New Member

State:
    missouri
    I bought a second hand Old Town Loon 111 for around $300. It is 11 feet long. It came with a built in rod/paddle holder right on the side and a large cockpit opening that is easy to get my gear and myself in and out of. It also has bungee cord cargo straps on top of the decks to carry some extras.

14. jga

jga New Member

State:
    missouri
    As for the gear I use and would recommend:
    life jacket, choose one that is not too bulky and gives you good arm movement.
    dry bags, these will keep all your gear dry (bedroll, clothes, food, wallet, cell phone, smokes).

15. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    THAT'S A GOOD RIG YOU GOT THERE. I REALLY ENJOY FLOATING/PADDING SMALL RIVERS AND STREAMS. I DID AN ARTICLE ON FLOATING THE BRAZOS IN MY LITTLE NEW CANOE www.newcanoe.com. it's archived here under OUTDOORS WITH LUKE CLAYTON.. I think you will enjoy reading about the trip. Good floating and fishing to you,my friend, Luke Clayton

16. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Are you refering to smoking weed?

If so then NO, that would not be safe while you are in a river or deep water, neither would be drinking and getting hammered. For you own safety, do your recreational drinking/smoking while on land.
    I do drink when I catfish but always on the bank, I would not take my pontoon and drink while on it.

17. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    The previous responses will give you the help you need. You can check craigslist sometimes for used kayaks,but decide the brand you want and stick with it. I have a cobra fish and dive,rigged for fishing , like the stability.
    Also i have a sevylor 12' inflatable with a trolling motor. I love fishing from personal flotation units. I would suggest lakes to get used to kayak,wind conditions, balance, what you need, what you don't need,etc.