Kayak Length

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by ronlyn239, Dec 21, 2007.

1. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    I am sure that this has been covered in a previous post someplace, but if you old salts were to buy a fishing kayak today, and using your knowledge of what is the best all-around kayak, would you choose a 12' or 14'? Reasons? Thanks for any advice you can give....

2. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Lots of brands out there...could you guys give me, say, the top three fishing kayaks? I am far more interested in quality and stability than speed.

3. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Longer kayaks of the same width are faster.Wider is more stable. You must consider your size, what type water you will be in, how far you normally will paddle and many other things before deciding on which boat you will buy. You need to search the internet for "kayaks" and "kayak fishing". You will find most all you need to know. Also before buying try to find a dealer that will let you test paddle some boats, thats the best way to see if it works for you.

4. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I have read many arguments for different lengths. An interesting point made by one salty kayaker was that there was essentially little difference between 12' and 14' beyond total weight capacity. His point was that genuine speed increase for the "fat" angler crafts out there would require lengths of around 18' or more!

I found a 12' easier to load, transport, and handle.

As Jerry rightly points out, you need to try before you buy, or wait until you can.

Of course, I'm partial to Legacy Watersports crafts, including Heritage and Native!

5. gbigskin

gbigskin New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    not sure where you plan to fish but i live in ok also and fish arkansas river and feeder creeks, as well as lakes with a 10' that i love to fish from. take a look at my post yesterday re: starter kayaks. if you would like to chat send me an email with a phone # and i will give you a ring and share some of my thoughts on yaks.

6. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    Almost Happy New Year Everyone,
    ronlyn239: If you have not purchased your kayak the winter time is the nest time to get deals as for your original question regarding length I have both a Cobra FnD which is 12'6'' which is like fishing from a barge with EXCELLENT stability even in rough waters! Great if your not going so far, is you have someone new and you are storing extra gear or just a little round. Think of a tug boat....
    As for my Malibue X Factor its 15' and change and I love it do to the stability + the amt of water covered especially when the wind is blowing. They both have the same amount of weight which i think is 70 pounds. The best over all suggestion and it will sound repeatative try before you buy.. Get yourself a good seat, a good paddle and strap EVERYTHING DOWN ALWAYS!!
    Hope this helps if you need info on how to rig it up electronic or the dreaded 1st hole in the plastic shoot me an email Ill try to help out or get you the answer.
    Good Luck!

7. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    almost forgot to mention get yourself a good cart so you dont have to struggle carrying your stuff around I have had good luck with rolleze brand, never use the ones that go in the scupper holes or drainage holes on the deck.

8. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I totally agree with Gus's cart assessment. I use the KFS All Terrain Cart that straps on. I couldn't beat the price and it handles well (it was part of a great package deal that included cart, PFD, etc.).

I use bungees to tie the cart on instead of straps, however. The bungees are fast to attach and release, and work well from parking lot to boat ramp. The bungees are not going to work over rough terrain, though!

9. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Carts a must. Only problem with mine are they are only 4" infatable tires. Seems to be all thats out there. found a few with larger wheels but they we like bicycle tires, to narrow. What I'm getting at is if you fish saltwater like I do alot you'll catch hell in the sand. They work great around the lake though. Get you a good Kayak that fits you personal needs. I love it. i find sitting on the lake or river in a kayak is far more enjoyable that a boat. You feel more at one with nature and not to mention the places you can get to that a boat can't. One other thing don't go cheap on your paddle. A cheap walmart paddle is inefficient and noisy.

10. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    whats up matt....you still up for our canoe/kayak trip in the spring? maybe other georgia members might be interested if we post something in the GA section? im headin up to Tenn. for the annual Fish/Camp next month if you're interested.

11. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I'm ready to go now. Been cooped up in the house for 2 weeks with a 2 and 4 year old screeming at each all day other because the lack of work. They are driving me nuts. anyways have you came up with a date of month? I'll be in destin for a week at the end of May.

12. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    i was thinking around march, early april maybe.......really the water temp is gonna dictate the situation......we wanna get out there when it's in the mid 60 degree range. We wanna catch the flatheads heavy in pre-spawn, they will be all over the river migrating and looking for good spawning habitat. I'm not sure how we're gonna acurately check the water temp on the river down there, i guess im just gonna keep an eye on the lake temps up here and guestimate. If you got cabin fever you should come up to Tenn. next month. I'm gonna meet roundhill up there on Thur. the 7th and fish till Sunday. They do it every year and i hear it's a blast. Check it out under the Gathering threads.