Kayak jugging made simple

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by jeremiad, Jun 11, 2009.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Being a kayak fisherman, I have been considering leaving the cattin' rods on the bank and carrying some small jugs like the kits made by Wild Wolf Products, a long-time Catfish1.com sponsor (http://www.wildwolfproducts.com/).

In this way I can deploy the jugs over structure that I am actively fishing, staying in the area of the jugs (within 50 yards or so) and never leaving them. I could then retrieve them quickly when I want to move on, or when another fisherman would like to fish the area too.

I am wondering if anyone else has tried fishing this way. I have seen where kayak fisherman ditch the rods in various ways, such as using a string paddle similar to those used for kite string, but larger, to hand-deploy bait.

The great advantage of jugging with these jugs (where legal) is that they are very compact (compared to regular jug methods) and you can cover a large area with just a few of them.

I am interested if anyone else has explored this kind of fishing.

2. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I have thought alot about this, especially when fishing a new area and just trying to find the fish. I think in KS its only legal on certain lakes. you can use jugs as set lines if you have enough weight on them so that the fish cannot move them. I think MO law says that you can jug fish as long as you are within site range of your jugs.
    Another tool at our disposal I guess

3. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have jugged, trotlined, and limblined off my yak, and it's a blast. I have a sit-inside type that's not real fishing compatible (but I make it work) and it's easier to just run lines off of it then fish rod and reel. Main problem for me is getting a big flatty on board. Smaller flatties and channels are easy enough. In some ways I think it's easier to jug off a yak then a jon boat because they are much more manuverable and if you need to you can paddle up into jams and stuff. Problem (with my yak anyway) is if you get a jug or line tangled it's kinda hard to get it up without about flipping once or twice. Doesn't happen very often but it makes for a bad mood when it does.

4. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the great replies, Stuart and Casey. I'm going to have to try jug fishing as soon as I can.

You are right in saying that jugging is not permitted in all lakes, and I wouldn't even think of jug fishing in lakes nearest to me--too much fishing pressure. I wouldn't want to get into a fight with some fisherman because I can't clear the area as fast as he would like!

There are lakes, such as Mt. Storm in West Virginia, where there is little fishing going on most of the time. The channel cats are overpopulated to the point that there is neither creel nor possession limits on catching them. This would be a great place to delpoy some jugs in addition to the rods!

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Joel also you can make up the smaller jugs using our kits. That would allow you to store them better.
    I may have to look into targeting this market more with our products. If anyone has any great ideals on how to do it. Please shoot us an E-mail with the info on the spots to target.
    Pete

6. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the feedback, Pete. I will certainly try my hand at jug-fishing from my kayak as soon as I get a good handle on fishing with the KatBobbers first.

I am planning a big test for the KatBobbers on Mt. Storm in West Virginia in August. A couple of small jugs wouldn't be a bad thing to try...well, let me see...you just might be hearing from me, Pete!

7. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I will occasionally set out a couple of jug lines over structure that I am R&R fishing, placing the jug lines right in the thick of things where I couldn't normally get to with a R&R. I think you got a great idea Joel, post some pics of your results!

8. KAYAK CAT KILLER

KAYAK CAT KILLER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would say i rather be in my little boat on a small body of water than anywhere else. juggin in the yak is the best..

9. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I enjoy it. I look at my yak as a floating all terrain vehicle being as I can slide right through log jams and shallow flats to get upstream where other bigger boats can't get through. Low hanging branches are no problem. I make it places I've seen canoers turn around with little problem. :wink: