Kayak info

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Kansas Tree Rat, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Hey guys some of you may be getting tired of hearing me yak about kayaking but they really are ideal for a lot of the small water we have around here. After Keith mentioned he would need to find a “big” Kayak I thought I would pass along a little info in case anyone was really interested in looking into buying one. One of the most popular fishing models out there has a weight capacity of 600 lbs. Heck Keith and I both could fish out of it.
    The new sit-on-top style boats are very stable. Anyone who has only been in a canoe or one of the old narrow sit-in style kayaks would be amazed. I took mine to the lake 2 weeks ago and turned it over several times on purpose just to see what it would take and how easy it was to get back in. I stood up, sat side saddle and rocked the heck out of it before I turned it over. It only took me seconds to turn it back over and crawl back onboard. I was impressed.
    As I was loading up a guy that had just pulled a big fancy ski boat out of the water came over and was looking at my rig. He was talking about how much it was costing him to run his boat and that he needed something like mine. He said the only problem was that he would have no room for his wife and kids. I brought up the point that I could buy everyone in my family and his family a yak of their own for less than what he paid for his boat. He got kind of a funny look and said good point.
    Anyway here are a few good links I have found.
    The Malibu X-factor is one the most popular big-man-boats out there.
    http://www.malibukayaks.com/kayaks.asp
    Lots of good info here. Check out the forums. They have a Midwest forum and a forum specific to the separate brands of yaks.
    http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com
    Go to youtube and search kayak fishing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVtHTUAXfLs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8ABLGu1ppw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ee4gpelPnQ
    Anyone who wants more info or needs help let me know. RUSH_60 (Casey) is also a hard core Yak fisherman and I am sure he would be glad to help.

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    if my river keeps droping i might have to buy one:cool2:

3. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Alans working really hard to recruit some more kayak fishing buddies. You would think he was selling them:smile2:. I'm pretty sure I'm going to the fall gathering at tuttle so if anyone thinks they want to try out kayaking bring your trunks. Everyone should try it once.

4. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    im probablly gonna catch hell for this but when do i ever bite my tounge. everyone should try it once huh ?? is that like sex with a fat gal ?? :smile2::smile2: nobody told me "once"

lord, i apoligize, & be with the starvin pygmies in new guinea :embarassed:

5. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    oh darn it you made me laugh and after my walk today it hurts :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

6. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

I wouldn't know JJ. You will have just to try it out and let me know if its the same.:smile2:

7. Kansas Tree Rat

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Just like Lays tater chips....Ya can't eat just one!

8. just a redneck

just a redneck New Member

State:
    kansas
    i talked to a guy last night about kayaking and there is an outfit around lawrence that drops u off and picks u up for pretty cheap if u want to know if a kayak is right for u you can contact them at up a creek .biz never did bisness with them but i see no reason for the guy to lie to me so if u are interested look them up

9. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Good info, thanks for keeping kayak fishing in front of people...I am a big guy and I use an "Ocean Kayak Big Game" It too can carry 600 pounds and is very stable..At 34 inches wide you really have to work to get it to flip you out...

10. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    Haha, and I thought I was the only crazy one on here that fished from my kayak. It makes things interesting thats for sure. I usually only use my ultralite when fishing directly out of the kayak or i'll use it to transport gear to a good secluded bank spot.

11. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I didnt know you were a fellow kansas kayaker, jake. What kayak do you have? Me, you, and Alan need to get together and do some fishing in our plastic armada.

12. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    Hey Casey, I just have an 11ft Perception Kayak.

13. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    oh great !! they're gonna form a gang and run everyone off from the honey holes !! are y'all gonna have leather vests w/ yer gang patch on it ?? the worlds first outlaw kayak catfishin gang, the rivers will never be safe again !! :crazy:

:wink::smile2::smile2:

14. Kansas Tree Rat

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Well JJ I have been talking to Gus about getting a catfish tattoo.
    Hell's angels of catfishin...I kinda like that...:crazy:
    Give us all your stink bait or we will smack you with a paddle...:tounge_out:
    Ass, stink bait or trebble hooks nobody rides for free...:confused2:
    Guess I better stop while I am ahead...:0010:

15. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    im laughin so much my belly is hurtin !! :smile2::smile2:

16. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Come on Guys, the tupperware fleet was just starting to get a good name and y'all show up !!!:wink:

17. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Hey I think I'm going kayak fishing tomorrow evening (thurs). Anyone interested? I think I'm putting in at independence creek just north of atchison, and taking out at a boat ramp on the mighty mo. I have an extra single person canoe if anybody wants to go. Probably less than a mile of paddling. I'm going about 5-6pm. Anyone interested?

18. Kansas Tree Rat

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Casey
    I would love to go but I have an all day float planned with my 14 year old daughter on the Wakarusa. I have been wanting to get on the Mo some time. I went across the Kaw on I435 today and was suprised at how high it was.

19. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. I'm curious on how hard it is to go upstream. The river is still above the wing dikes up here, but its been steady. Good luck on your float trip. How many miles are you going. Any rapids?