Kayak info. needed

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by splitshot, Jun 14, 2007.

1. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Has anyone ever fished for catfish from a Kayak? I found a really good deal on a fishing kayak and im considering buying it. Anyone have any experience with one?

2. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    My boss and our mechanic both have one. These guys are more salt fishermen. They like to paddle the flats here in Texas. They are perfect for that situation and anywhere that you can not get a regular boat.

My boss tells the story how he saw a guy with one when he was on the way to the boat ramp to fish where this guy simply parked and unloaded his kayak.

The second thing they do with those yaks are to paddle baits out to deeper water. Both saltwater and fresh. It lets your put them you may not be able to cast.

Sitting on top and fish any small body of water works great too.

3. rickr

rickr New Member

State:
    Schertz Texas
    I am a Die Heart Kayak Kitty Chaser. So much so I sold my Bass Boat and fish exclusively from a Yak. I just got tired waiting in line at boat launches and maintaining a PB. I can launch most anywhere I can drive and really enjoy the simplicity and stealth of a Kayak. I haven't had an opportunity to land a 10 lb plus Cat out of a Yak yet but the anticipation keeps me going. I am going to start night fishing out of my Yak this Saturday and can't wait. I really think you will enjoy it :big_smile:

Rick

4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thanks for the replies guys. Its a 9.5 ft. and only weighs 37 lbs. it has good storage area and looks like i can rig my portable fish finder on it. Im going to get the chance to try it out before i buy it.

5. dademoss

dademoss New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have used a canoe, all I can recommend is make sure you have a anchor to keep from getting towed away when you land that 80 pounder :-D

6. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    I have also been interested in a fishing kayak, what do you guys think of the hobie series, it has the little petals, so you can handle your rod and reel while moving

7. rickr

rickr New Member

State:
    Schertz Texas
    Hobbie Yaks are considered one of the elite brands and well worth the money; however, you don't have to spend over 1k for a good Kayak. The foot peddles do come in handy while fishing on the move. I have a fish finder with a shoot through hull transducer powered by a deer feeder battery and a trolly anchor system which allows me to position the anchor anywhere from the bow to the stern and all positions in between. I also use a wind sock when I want to drift fish. Splitshot, you have the right idea in trying before buying. Each Kayak has it's good and bad points. There is no perfect yak for every situation. Find one your comfortable with and I know you will be hooked as I have become.

Rick

8. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    ya, i wasnt even trying to trick my self into thinking I could afford a hobie, but they still looked cool, im going to gander mountain tomoraw, and if i dont find anything there, ill look at some other sporting good stors

9. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Hmmm 9.5 ft. From what I heard about yaks that may be alittle short. course I am no expert. May want to search the net for some recommends. I think my boss told me about 12 ft was a good length but them I am not sure. I think this had to do with ease of navigation and stbility.

10. theflyfisher

theflyfisher New Member

State:
    CT
    I just sold my Liquid Logic sit-on-top. The cool thing about large fish is you go for a bit of a "sleigh-ride"! I unfortunately have a bad lower back, so sitting in it made me suffer for days. Very stealthy, but if you're used to a boat, the limited movement and storage can be a bit irritating.