Kayak fly fishermen?

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by jeremiad, Aug 11, 2009.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    How many of you canoe/kayakers out there have tried your hand at fly fishing while sitting?

I had read enough about it that I decided to see if I could do it. So, last week I threw my fly rod in the cargo bay to give it a try.

I used my anchor trolley to position the kayak downwind, then deployed line into the water along the kayak. I then cast parallel to the kayak, figuring that I wouldn't hang up on my other rods and gear.

After a few back-slaps and a couple of close calls with near-wind-knots, I achieved a decent cast. Then I got the hang of it. I was amazed how effectively I found myself casting. The restraint of keeping the line away from the boat actually seem to force me into making tight, clean loops in my cast. In fact, I don't think that I have ever been so effective in casting. It didn't take long until I was setting the fly thirty feet away from the boat.

I didn't fool any fish, though. This is most likely because I was fairly unprepared. I had packed a few new flies that not been properly dressed, so they didn't float as they should.

I'll be better prepared next time! :wink:

BTW, my outfit includes a very flexible, seven foot rod loaded with 6 weight-forward line. I feel that WF line is essential for effectively fishing from a sitting position. WF line only requires one dry cast to lift the entire line from the water and send it forward. I only had to dry cast more whenever I wanted to deploy more line.

2. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    i don't fly fish alot, mainly just for gills for baiot. but last year i was in a kayak and decided to fly fish for bass in the river by my house, i was suprised at how easy it was to cast sitting. had a blast and caught quit a few smallies.
    chip

3. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I fly fish alot, and this is the first year I've tried it from the yak. Pretty easy to cast, but having a sit-inside type yak makes for kind of a pain if there's any wind at all. Have done alot of bait fishing from the yak, but also caught a bunch of rainbow trout out of it during a trip to Colorado earlier this year. Good times.

4. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I used to do it from my canoe before I bought my kayak. I havent tried from the yak, but I think it would be just as easy as it was from the canoe.

5. H2O!

H2O! New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I don't do it, but I have a buddy that loves to fly fish from his kayak. He is quite good at it. Me, I have a hard enough time trying to fly fish while standing!:smile2:

6. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    That's hilarious, Brian! I like your avatar...it's great. Welcome to the BOC! :0a25: