Kayak fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by schoonie, Oct 23, 2007.

1. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Can anyone tell me if you have to register a Kayak in Oklahoma? I am purchasing one to fish the Chikaskia river around Blackwell and can't find anything in the boating regs on it.

2. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Also, anyone have a recommendation on make/model of kayaks?

3. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    One more time, how about good places in the Northern half of the state to fish out of said kayak?

4. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yes, you have to register the kayak at the tag agency. Go to Sportman's Warehouse in OKC on Memorial just West of Pennsyvania. They have a good selection of kayaks and knowledgeable sales staff too. Good place to shop.

catman george

5. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Welcome to the BOC mike. I own a 9 ft. heritage angler and am very pleased with it. One of the things you have to take into consideration when looking at yaks is what fits you best physically. For instance if your 6 ft. tall and weigh 200 lbs. a heritage 12 red fish might suit you better. The important thing is to shop around, some dealers will allow you to try out there yaks before you purchase them. There are all kinds of options. My yak came with a pulley style anchor system, one forward monted adjustable rod holder, two rear fixed rod holders, adjustabe seat and footrest and storage space behind the seat. You can go to the kayack section under boating for more useful info.

6. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I don't kayak but take the canoe out from time to time on some local small rivers and creeks. IMO there not a bad place to take your yak but give us a idea what part of Northern OK your at to give you a better recommendation to try that's close to ya.

7. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    the one's I've been looking at are the Hobies
    they are very nice, and have their own propulsion system other than paddling which would be good while trolling for fish

8. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    TDawg... don't they make them thangs with adaptors for a trolling motor or small 2 cycle engine?:smile2:

I been thinkin about sellin my CC and using a smaller boat made for the shallows. A Yak might be just the thing if I can find one with a motor...

9. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Search the web using "kayak fishing" as the search words. You will find everything you need to know there. I fish from an Ocean Kayak Prowler big game, my wife uses a Liquid Logic manta ray 14...both great fishing yaks

10. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Mike,

I agree with splitshot, check out the kayak/canoe forum. We have been looking to get some more discussions going and there is a great deal of information there.

11. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. Been out of pocket for a while and did not have the chance to respond. All info very helpful and appreciated.

12. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    the chikaskia river runs right adjacent to Blackwell. The Chikaskia is the main reason I will be buying a kayak. Banks are steep and not much bank access.