Kayak fishing 1/2/2006

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by kayakgeek, Jan 1, 2006.

1. kayakgeek

kayakgeek New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    I am heading for Dutch Gap tomorrow morning with my kayak. I hope to be down there about 8 am. I have an hour drive from Fredericksburg.
    I have been studying this catfish stuff and putting my kit together for over a year now and I am going give it my best shot.
    Wilderness Systems 135T 13'5" kayak, Cuda 128 FF, 6'6" boat rod with Diawa baitcaster w/ 50# spectra, 7" med wt spin caster with 20# mono.
    The only thing I am concerned about is the rain and fresh bait. I have some frozen Shad and I am going to take my cast net.
    Wish me luck and say hello if you see a crazy yaker on the James.
    Whisker to all. :D

2. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Good Luck - the river hasn't been giving it up willingly. The fishing's gotta come around eventually.
    /Scott

3. Catmandu

Catmandu New Member

State:
    Virginia
    how do you throw a cast net from a kayak? hope you have good luck up there tomorrow. we went today and caught about 8 fish biggest 55lbs. shad was hard to come by. the lower james water temp at surface was 42. be careful and have fun " tight lines "

4. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Cattin' from a Kayak ! I'd be afraid of it flippin on me. Sounds like ya'lls water is cold too. Good luck up there.

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I fish from a kayak. Its small, only 9.5 ft. Does real well. Trying to figure out how to rig it so I can fish four rods, each rigged with a float and set at differnt depths. Sorta jug fishing sit-in style.

6. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I read with envy about kayak fishing! yall keep tellin how it works and maby I'll get up the aambition??? to try it!
    happy hookin!!

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    A fellow who posts on texaskayakfisherman.com, goes by the name Strider, is a big time catfish kayak fisherman. There's also another one who slays the channels and blues on Lake Conroe in Texas. Most use sit on top kayaks to fish from. Comfortable and easy to get on and off. Very stable too. A good el cheapo is the Mainstream Kingfisher. Good fishin platform under $400. Its slow compared to the most preferred sit on tops...the Ocean Kayak Prowlers and Wilderness Systems Tarpons, but it'll get the job done. Lots of saltwater fishermen on the forum and a couple who target sharks from a kayak. If you can handle a 4-6 foot shark from a kayak, a 25 lb blue or flathead shouldn't be a problem.

8. kayakgeek

kayakgeek New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Well I made it back alive!
    I put in at Dutch Gap. Used the cast net from the dock with no luck. Had a couple of frozen shad from last spring.
    That is big water for a kayak. Did a lot more paddling then I did fishing. I headed downriver to the Gap and went south into the area behind the power plant. I am not that experienced with my Eagle Cuda 128 yet. Seems like I'd see fish in some of the holes or near structure. I'd back off and toss in the bait. No luck.
    Still had fun. I'll be paying with a sore back and shoulders, but that's ok too. Sure glad I got the Immersion Research semi-dry paddling top from REI last week. With a couple layers of poly and fleece, I stayed warm and dry.
    I use a Sit inside kayak (SIK). I'll be posting a couple of pictures from yesterdays trip. Dispite the rain there were quite a few boats.
    My thru hull mounted FF sensor said the water temp was 45 deg on the main channel and up to 52 deg back in the area behind the plant.

9. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    I wondered if you went out yesterday with all the rain. I went out of Deep Bottom, it was a wet one for sure.
    /scott

10. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Well, :confused: Did you catch any fish and was bait hard to find, ect, ect, ect.

11. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    It was yet another slow one for me. Got one good bite in the first hole I set up in and that fish got my bait. Set the net for 15 minutes on saturday morning and picked up enough for the weekend.

I'm doing something lately that the fish don't agree with :cursing:

/Scott

12. kayakgeek

kayakgeek New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Here are two pictures from Mondays Dutch Gap trip.

Yakgeek

Attached Files:

13. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    That's a sweet lookin' setup ya got there. I'd like to try and fish from one of those. So, tell us, is it tough to get it from one place to the other ? I mean how well does it do in waves on a lake, or do you fish rivers only ? Seems that a big fish could twist ya around pretty good. Is the rig easy to handle ?

Tell us more about your rig. I'm excited for ya now that I've seen what you have. My guess is, not many guys fish fresh water with one in Texas, I have seen pics of guys out in the bay on these.

14. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    T-bone, texaskayakfisherman.com has a freshwater forum. While not as many as on the salt forum, lots of us fish freshwater from kayaks. Don't know haw a sit on top handles waves on the lake, but my little 9.5 kayak handles them just fine. Of course, you have to use common sense, just like in a 12-14 ft jon boat. A couple of teens tried to swamp me one day, but the kayak just bobbed up and down. As for paddling, I can paddle almost as fast as a small boat with a 30lb thrust trolling motor when just casually paddling.

15. Vacatfisher

Vacatfisher New Member

i take my kayak in the ocean all the time and it does fine but i have a sit on top so no cold water for me.....mines a 12' tarpon 120

16. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The Wilderness System Tarpon 120 is a fine fishing craft, very popular on the Gulf Coast. Kayaks are especially great for fishing small rivers and creeks. On one small river near my home, I float fish the deeper holes, wade the riffles and shallows pulling the yak. But, my favorite fishing hole is a small resevoir...1200 acres usually full of hydrilla and aligators. Can't operate a big boat on the lake...hp limits...and trolling motors get tangled in the hydrilla its so thick. The kayak is ideal to get to the fishing hole.

17. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    There is a kayaking group in northern calif that fish local lakes for catfish. The pictures of there catch was pretty impressive! I would love to give it a try!

18. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Yep - the T120's a fine yak. I paddle one myself.
    /Scott

19. kayakgeek

kayakgeek New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Kayak Fishing Stuff is a great place to start your education.
    http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/

BOC has taught me alot about my rigs and techniques for cats. KFS has led me to setting up the yak. There are so many sites on the web that have helped me it's hard to list.
    Most guys are going for the SOT type of yak dedicated to fishing. I choose the SIK for it's dual role of family fun/camping and fishing. I have floated the Rappahannock for small mouth, the James for whiskers, Motts Run Res for LM bass and whiskers at night, paddled the Potomas for Stripers at he 301 bridge and fished the ocean and bays of Sunset Beach, NC.

My future plans and dreams include James river swift water above Richmond for Flatties and or the Dan, Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel at Va. Bch for Stripers, Delaware river for Stripers, Shennandoah for Small mouth. You name it and I'll try it if I can carve out the time.

Now throw in a kayak camping trip to the Core Banks of NC and I would say I will have a busy summer.

20. Vacatfisher

Vacatfisher New Member

i cobia fish in my yak in the obx mostly near avon and rodanthe....no cobes tey but ive got a ew 4 ' sharks....really want to hook a tarpon in it...thatd be fun