Kayak/Canoe

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by OklahomaFever, Jul 22, 2006.

1. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey guys...

Have you ever floated down a river in a canoe and set some trotlines... I have been doing this for some time and wondered if any1 else has every down this before...

2. okie catfishen

okie catfishen New Member

State:
    Newcastle, Oklahoma
    I fish from a canoe every weekend. it is a 14ft 3 person from bass pro. I put out 11 jug lines and crappie and bass fish while i wait. you can see my canoe on top of my truck in my profile pic. What part of oklahoma are you from?

keith,
    Newcastle, Oklahoma

3. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Keith,

Im from broken arrow and i fish the arkansas river... where is newcastle located at?? and whats the addy from basspro.com on your canoe...

Stephen

4. okie catfishen

okie catfishen New Member

State:
    Newcastle, Oklahoma
    Newcastle is southwest of oklahoma city about 15 min. I bought my canoe at bass pro.

Keith,
    Newcastle, oklahoma

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

when I was younger and a whole lot skinnier I would troll from a canoe on the Brazos River and on Possum Kingdom Lake. But I had never used one for setting lines.

6. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Laid,

Its a blast... until you pull up a huge catty... and you better have good balance... wish you were closer... i would take ya...

Keith,

What model is it??

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Don't trot or jug line, but do catfish from a kayak. A friend has tried it on Tradinghouse Creek in North Central Texas, but doesn't advise it. Difficult to handle kitties over 15 lbs. He's caught a couple of 20 ponders jug lining, but the jug lines had a big swivel to which he would attach 80 lb braided line also with a big snap swivel, to the jug line and fight down the big cat. The reel he used was a Penn 209 and an Ugly Stick to match.

8. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    ya there are difficult to handle... but really fun... there pretty difficult to turn over... but canoe fishing is a blast

9. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Yes , the smaller rivers here are'nt big enough for my boat. So I've used my Old Town canoe to set trotines. I've caught some good fish on rods out of it. Usually have to beach good ones, as they give us a ride in the canoe.

10. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Caught an 8lb 10oz channel out of my canoe last night using ultralight gear with 4 lb testline, no dipnet. Talk about excitement!

11. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    All of my fishing involves my 16' Mad River canoe,i either fish from it,or use it to get me to the good spots on the river.