Kaw River?

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Bigfish18, May 30, 2008.

1. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thinking about fishing the Kansas River this weekend. Is the water too high at this moment to safely operate a 16ft jon boat? Is anyone catching anything?
    I plan on fishing around Desoto & Eurdura(spelling).

Thanks
    Cody

2. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Just a heads up............the river will be falling fast this weekend. I'm not sure why, but the Corp. has cutback the upstream discharges a ton. Yesterday they were releasing 13,500 cfs from the lakes above Lawrence and they are now in the process of dropping the discharge rate to 250cfs!! I've never seen them shut all of them down this fast, wonder what the story is??

If you tie off your boat in shallow water tonight you might find yourself hi and dry the next morning:crazy:

3. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

looks like its all ready started

4. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Ran 8 miles above and below Wamego here before dark, and it looks like it has dropped a couple feet. Corps site shows significant reduction in outflow. Got to talk to the the K-state biologists (students) that were shocking and setting nets. Said they were going through a motor every 16 months.:eek:oooh:Said the big'uns were down yer way though:big_smile: When it stabilizes it will definitely be time to hook up.

5. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Any luck so far in the Wamego area. I hope to hit that area in the next week if things work out.

6. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    How about the weir at the treatment plant in Topeka? Hookin any good ones yet?

7. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Getting a few here, nothing big. It has been real busy.:crazy: If you are running lines plan on running several miles of river. Good Luck

8. bigbearfireman

bigbearfireman New Member

State:
    Lawrence,ks
    hey tom check you private messages and the text i sent u

9. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

pm and text back at ya pat

10. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Here is an old painting I found of the ferry at the Grinter House on the Kaw River. The Grinter House is still there, its at 78th & K-32.

Attached Files:

11. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

kaws biteing pretty good as of last night for me too.was hooking good ones left and right last night... should be a good week if the water dont come up real high again

12. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Water will be coming up real fast, Tuttle opened up to 20,000 cfs and Milford opened up to 7,000 cfs today. Should take about 48 hours +/- to get to Lawrence. Take good care if you end up on the Kaw!!

13. kansas_catman_16

kansas_catman_16 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    river gone crest at 11 ft in a day or so makin for some good fishin

14. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Man we have been getting blasted by this weather lately:crazy:

15. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

great as soon as the water went down and the flatheads got to biteing now the water comes back up this wet weather is really starting to suck

16. kansas_catman_16

kansas_catman_16 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    im likin the high water cuz my "honey holes" are at there best caught ma biggest stringer and biggest channel in flood water :smile2:

17. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Keith
    Pretty cool. I stopped by there once. did not take the tour. just looked around. I bet there were some REAL fish back in those days.

18. Creaz93

Creaz93 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    What are some good bank fishing spots on the Kaw? I live in Olathe by the way, so something not too far away. Once I finally get some heavier gear I hope to start fishing for flatheads/blues.:big_smile:

19. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Chris , around here all the good ones are under water. Once the river drops and stays at a consistent level , Ill be going down to bank fish. Ill show you the spots. :big_smile:

20. kc river kid

kc river kid New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    il go lol some time :big_smile: