KAW river

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Mo.Hick, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    How far up the kaw river can you go from where it dumps into the Mo river? How is the the fishing up the river and is it deep enough for a boat?

Tom

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    It's 15-20 miles up to the 435 dam/weir, depending on who's mileage figures you use. The lower 5 miles or so are deep enough for a boat most anytime, but be careful of submerged hazards.. above that, say the 7th street bridge or so, it gets pretty tough at times. Right now the water is up enough that most folks could run up to 435 with no problems.

There are a lot of good fish caught in that section of the river every year. Just like anywhere else, there are times that you couldn't buy a bite, but between the Kaw and the Missouri being right there you have a lot of options.

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yep Gary pretty much summed it up. I would say once you got past 12th street when the water is low is as far as you can go.

4. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    I think the first real barrier on the Kaw is Bowersock Dam near Lawrence.
    Up river of that I think there's some problems with a few natural obstructions
    around Topeka, sandbars and snags in the wrong places. After that, I think
    you can take it pretty much up to its origin near Junction City. Historically,
    the Kaw was the pathway to the middle of Kansas and some of our
    Byzantine state regs on land ownership near rivers reflect that.

5. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

from the bowerstock dam to say desoto is very touch and go in normal conditions its gets very shallow and is very had to run a boat anywhere in it with all the shallow water sand bars that criss cross it.for along ways past desoto it still sucks in normal conditions very shallowonce you get closer to kc the water deepens alot and it gets much nicer to boat itand gets deeper the closer you get to the mouth of it. from the bowerstock dam backwards(up stream)its so so with deep spots and shallow spots all over the palce it wont stay the same long that stays that way fro many miles upstream with sand bars and the like criss crossing the river holes pot marking the river really got to run the channel or you will be stuck

6. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Thanks for all the info guys. I have wanted to try it for a while and hope to get the chance to this summer.

Tom