Kaw river water research

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by delbert bumbleshoot, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Didn't K-State just go through there with electroshockers doing a population
    study on flatheads last year? Doesn't KDWP think K-State's data is good
    enough? Really good looking fish, though. If you keep shocking them up
    like that won't it hurt them some way? Make their little eyes light up?
    I'd like to see some of the really big ones they got. One of them said the
    40's were some of the small ones they brought up.

2. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    That is a good area they are in for flats I too would love to see some of the others.

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Mike, I think those KDWP guys all went to KU. They just wanted to make sure the job was done right. Very interesting to see those flatheads in that stretch this time of year. I believe, and correct me if Im wrong, that the deepest holes in that stretch are down around Eudora. Looks to me like these guys were up around Bowersock.

4. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    I believe this is more of a "water quality" study as opposed to a "population study". More power to them if they can use the data to identify contaminants.

The pictures in the article were taken in the area of the 8th street boat ramp I'm pretty sure(building in the bottom picture). Several spots with 12+ feet of water between there and Bowersock, don't think they'll have much trouble wintering in that area.

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Believe it or not but my local news actually had a small segment about it. Shocked me. Anyways, they said they were catching catfish and placing them in tanks along the bank. Well they showed them with carp.:smile2: News people propably didnt even know the difference. I was hoping to see some big flats.:sad2::smile2:
    They shocked the Arkansas a few years ago and pulled in a couple around 50 lbs. I know where too.:wink::smile2:

6. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Charlie,

I thought that the article might get you to drop a line. Those pics are not to far from your front door are they.:big_smile: Gets the blodd going for the spring to take the boat out and slime it up some. Hows the crappie fishing for going for you?

Keith I would say that the fish up stream are just as good if not better than it is below the dam. Now as for the Blues that is a different story.

7. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Compared to Tom and Caleb I'm not even fishing. Work is keeping me close to home and Clinton sucks at the moment, but will go flog some water tomorrow. I'm a bachelor till Sunday evening, but on call.

Their real close to my place, I just don't understand why I don't recognize the fish:eek:oooh::roll_eyes::wink:. Oh ya, I haven't caught a fish that big in 3 years:sad2:. Really glad to see some interest by the State in the Kaw's water quaility...........would love to feel comfortable eating some fish out of it now and then.