KAW River Spots near Lawrence

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by simplecollegekid, Apr 16, 2006.

1. simplecollegekid

simplecollegekid New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Could you guys tell me of the closest spot to fish from the bank or like access areas to the kaw from lawrence and maybe some directions. Or any spot really. I am not familiar with the kaw and lawrence/kc area much. I would greatly appreciate any help and information you can give me about catfishing on the river. Thanks!

2. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    There is a public fishing park on the kaw by the old river mall. I'm not from lawrence, and i havent fished there for a couple years, so I dont remember the streets. I'm thinking that it might of been called Barkley Park, or something like that.

3. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

simplecollegekid....are you from lawrence ?if so i am also.kaw can be access from alot of areas around here easyist one would be right by the dam either the lawrence side or north lawrence side you can pretty much just drive up to it around that area

4. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Like Tom said , just drive up to the falls when the water is running pretty good. Try many different baits. You should do OK. :)

5. simplecollegekid

State:
    Kansas
    i'm not from lawrence. I'm from hays, ks, but I have been going to school up here for 2 and half years now. We should get together and fish for some cats. I have heard about the spot by the dam. It just doesn't seem like I would catch anything. I don't know how to go about it. I would be much more comfortable going with you a time or two. Where can I use a castnet and get some shad around here and.or clinton? I'm not used to fishing for flats, just channels. It is a bonus if that spot could work though because I live like 5 minutes from it. Do you usually go at night?

Also, what other access spots are there to the Kaw other than that one?

6. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

sounds like some of us should just get together and hit the kaw somenight, i fish it all summer long from the bank,i love it down there

7. simplecollegekid

State:
    Kansas
    sounds like a plan. when do you want to go? and who wants to go?

8. John H

John H New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    I am a senior (old Man) and new to your forum.. But just want to say based on water quality east of Topeka headed toward Lawrence, I would be very carefull of eating anything that swims in the KAW river,

Just my 2 cents and it's a darn shame..

John H

9. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    John,from one old man to another welcome to the Boc

10. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I agree with that...
    I would not eat channels or anthing else out of the Kaw.
    But they are sure fun to catch!

I would eat them out of any of the area lakes though!
    Gardner Lake in Gardner has especially clean channels.

11. simplecollegekid

State:
    Kansas
    Yea, I hear ya on the food thing! lol

12. retired stump jumper

retired stump jumper New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Welcome to the BOC John I hope you enjoy this site as much as I do . Just another ole timer

13. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    "Gardner Lake in Gardner has especially clean channels"

I agree on not eating fish out of the Kaw, but sometimes I wonder. Gardner Lake, for example, is surrounded by houses on septic systems. Each property owner is likely using pesticides and chemical fertilizers on their lawns. The creek flows in from the direction of the city of Gardner. basically urban runoff. The lake acts as a settlement basin for all of this stuff.

I'm picking on Gardner because Chris mentioned it, and because I was fishing out there last week and thinking about this. You could probably make a similar case against most of the area lakes. I would eat the fish out of Gardner without too much worry, but like I said, sometimes I wonder.

14. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Gezz Gary, do you have to ruin it for everybody?
    I based my statement on that fact that everyone that I have cleaned out of Gardner lake has especially clean white meat and they tasted better than the cats I eat from Olathe lake.

Not to say that your wrong....
    But I like hotdogs and I don't need you to tell me whats in them!

15. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    "But I like hotdogs and I don't need you to tell me whats in them"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotdog

Don't worry, its nothing that a little catsup won't counteract. :big_smile:

16. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I still enjoy a good ol "slaw dog" coleslaw and a hotdog, sound funny but give it a try you will be HOOKED! I guess no one really knows whats in a hotdog. Guess the best place to look for this anwser is a meat processing plant.

chris