Kaw point

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by crazy, Jun 19, 2008.

1. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Ok guys the ramp is still closed. I really want to go fishing this weekend how about you? Lets just inundate them with phone calls. The ramp is below the handicap pad like they wanted it to be. So I'm anonymously giving you all the number. 913-573-8305

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I'm on board with this, just hope we don't get a bunch of rain tonight.

3. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Tonight: Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly before 9pm. Some storms could be severe, with large hail and damaging winds. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 64. North northwest wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

doesn't sound too bad

4. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    maybe it missed you guys ,but i got 2 inches in 30 mins here in warrensburg

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Must of missed us. Oh well if it had of hit us. What happens here has no effect on us tomorrow. We just worry about what happens on the west side of Iowa and Nebraska.

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Actually one of the television stations was projecting the main rain event to come through later tonight, around 4:00am. I hope not, if the river rises a quick foot or two we will probably be locked out all weekend.

7. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Just got back from Kaw Point, stopped by there on my way back from Los Corrales downtown. Try it sometime, if you havent , good mexican food. 9th & Broadway. Anyway, walked down there and looked , 15 ft or so of ramp , about 5 inches of mud on the last 5 ft of ramp. Saw two park rangers over by my gf's parents house by City Park, stopped and talked to them, they told me that they would be very surprised if WyCo. opened it this weekend. Oh well. Maybe , maybe not. :confused2:

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    If it takes cleaning the mud well I"ll clean the mud.. there messing with my fishing.. Not like none of us die hards have not cleaned the ramp before.

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    The rain missed, operation bug the parks guy to death is a go. I wonder if a snow shovel or a regular shovel works better on the mud?

10. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Iwrote the # down, I'll call em on break time.Can you guys use one of the missouri river ramps and run to the Kaw or are they all shut down too? I'm havin a similar problem with the city of Pleasonton not takin care of the feeders on my favorite channel cat lakes.My feeder pattern doesn't work too good if none of the feeders are operational and chained down permanently.

11. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I'm pretty sure most of the ramps are still closed. I noticed that yesterday they opened La Benite park back up, but still have the ramp barricaded off. There's so much mud there I don't think you could launch anyway.

12. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I won't be out there this weekend but I'll throw a phone call in anyway. Good luck to all if you do get out.

13. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Thanks guys, it must of worked. Boat ramp is opened and they hosed it off. They did say though that it looks nasty?:smile2: What ever thats means. Game ON!!!!

14. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Sweeeeeeeet - I'll be there tomorrow night. Just got back in town about 3 hours ago. Tonight we're going to go catch some little fish to try and feed to the big fish tomorrow night

15. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Brandon,

It's no problem to launch there, but fishing conditions are pretty tough. Debris on the Kansas increased overnight, and was some of the worst I've seen there. The Missouri was considerably cleaner, but lots of deep water and line trash. We managed a 23lb flathead from the Kaw from one of the few sheltered anchor points, and a 3-4lb channel - credit to Keith Anderson for catching those fish. Just look for spots out of the current as much as possible.

I'm still pondering options for tonight.

16. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Sounds like a decent day, I would like to give it a try. How swift is the current?

17. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Jess, The current is pretty swift right now, both rivers are running a lot of water. 12 oz sinkers are about the minimum weight unless you find a current break, which is highly recommended. The debris is letting up some, and we should see a little improvement each day.

18. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Lost one decent fish beside the boat. Not sure how big, but I coudln't get him off the bottom. Only bite we had all night. Still a nice night to be out, though.

I'm now going to lapse into a coma until mid-morning. Had a buddy of mine with me who doesn't fish but just likes to be out on the water, so I missed my usual 3-4 hours of sleep on this trip:smile2:

19. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Glad to see you hooked atleast one brandon ,me myself worked 14 hours yesterday ,will work 12 today then back to the 8 hour a day job ,boy cant wait until next year when i am fishing all the time .

20. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Thanks for the info. The only reason I have not been out is not wanting to deal with the trash. If it is letting up some I will have to give it a try.