Kaw Point help

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by smhmc6, Apr 2, 2008.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I am going up to KC to visit my family this weekend and while I'm there I want to hit up the river. So I'm thinking about bringing my boat, but I've never been on big rivers so I just don't know if it would be safe. I have a 1436 riveted jon with a 9.8 hp outboard. Am I kidding myself? The motor will get the boat up just fine, I use it on a river around here thats about 15-20 yards wide and anywhere from 8-22 ft. deep. I've had it on that river when it was flowing 2000 cfs and it was fine. If that same flow was on a wider river it shouldn't be as bad right? I kind of want to put in at the Kaw Point ramp because everyone seems to say that its deeper out that way. Let me know what you guys think, its about a 3 hour drive from here so it would be a long way to drive the boat if the river is too strong for my smaller boat to safely navigate. Thanks for the help.

2. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i think you'll be fine if ya stay on the Kaw. i have a 16 ft. jon w/ same size motor and do just fine on there. im leary to get out on the MO so i cant tell ya anything there. i AM curious to find out if what we have would do ok on the MO river.

3. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks Jason. I did take it on Milford Lake once from the wakefield ramp up to the republican river. That was back when I was just using a 50 lb. trolling motor... that was probably the most scared I've even been in a boat. That part of the lake was pretty wavey that day. I just don't want to do something stupid like that again.

4. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    You'll be fine on te Kaw. but I would shy away from the mighty mo.

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I agree with Brad. I used to run the Kaw out of Kaw Point in a 12ft plastic boat with a 5hp motor, no problem.

6. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    thanks you guys, i was thinkin that but i seem to always have to learn the hard way. :smile2:

7. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks alot for the comments. I knew some of the KC area guys would show up with help. Are there any shallow areas or places to watch out for if I head west from the kaw point ramp? Anything at all that would be of help I would appreciate. I'm thinking about going out Saturday morning all day if possible and it will be my first time fishing the Kaw ever. What are the average and/or min./max. water depths generally?

8. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    One other thing I forgot to ask, how hard is bait to come by this time of year out there? Is it hard to find the shad this time of year? thanks

9. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    The Kaw is getting a bit low now so most of the underwater obsticales are exposed. just use some common sense and you'll be fine

10. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    yeah, ive noticed that too Brad. i drive over it everyday and keep seein the sandbars growin bigger & bigger. at least now a fella can walk out on the weir here in topeka to get to more spots.

ive took our boat from st. marys all the way to topeka. that was a fun trip even though most of it was w/o a motor. the next trip is topeka to lawrence or even kansas city. felt like huck finn i tell ya.:smile2:

11. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    If you're going to float from Topeka to KC -- I hope you don't mind portaging your boat twice. There's Bowerstock dam in Lawrence as well as the lowhead dam downstream of Edwardsville. Neither are traversable in a boat of any kind...safely or otherwise. But that *would* be a pretty cool float though. :smile2:

The Kaw shouldn't be a problem with a smaller boat -- I actually managed to get a ways upstream in my 15 footer from Kaw Point on my 36# trolling motor over the summer when the forward gear in my outboard was toast. :crazy:

There are definitely some shallow spots to watch for, though it's not a perfect tool, follow the Kaw on maps.live.com; the bird's eye view images seem to be during a low water period. Like Brad said, just use common sense and you'll be fine.

12. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    oh believe me, gettin the boat past the weir here in topeka wasn't exactly a walk in the park. i think the weir here is worse than the one in KC but thdam in Lawrence is gonna kick our buts to say the least. but like i always say, dont underestimate rednecks !! :smile2: i think if we pull the boat out just before the dam in lawrence there on the south side we could truck it on round to riverfront park and put back in.

13. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    when we got the boat over the weir here we used 2 of my 1/2 in. climb ropes from when i used to trim trees and the water was up about 5-6 in. above the weir so i controlled the speed of it from the back and Lucky pulled the front over to the bank from up front. it took on about 25 full 20oz. pop bottle w/ the top cut off and about a dozen scoops that didnt fill the bottle and we were off again.

14. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    if it makes you feel any better, i kayak on the kansas river. my family and friends think i'm crazy.

15. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    other than the weirs and dams the Kaw is really mellow for the most part. i just wont be goin over either on IN any type of boat and such !!

16. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Well, me and my friend from KC went out on the Kaw on Saturday. It was both of our first times being on the river and also our first time to fish it. It was a good day on the water. We probably would have caught about 30 fish had it not been for them just kind of hitting the bait and leaving. We did manage to hook 5 of them, all eater size but we put them back. The biggest was 2 pounds. It was nice though to have a constant bite all day (from about 10-6:30), its been a while since we experienced that. We could have caught more I think if we downsized our baits but we were hoping for something a little bigger. Was anyone from the BOC out there saturday? We saw 3 other boats out there and I was wondering.

17. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Its gettin closer. Thats a pretty good day.How did the boat do?

18. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    It did real well I think. I put a rod rack on the back of the boat and bought a drift sock, so things have changed a little since we fished out of it a weekend or two ago. Two guys sitting in the middle seat is a little crowded, but it wasn't too bad. Next weekend is looking good for the Walnut... you up for going again?

19. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I will have to wait and see for sure but that sounds good to me. I bet the rod rack is nice. Did the drift sock work out?

20. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    So where's the results?