Kaw Point fishing trip

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by charbob4jesus, Sep 15, 2008.

1. charbob4jesus

charbob4jesus New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hey brothers im going on a fishing trip with my brother inlaw at kaw point and i ave a fiew questions.
    1. if im using cut shad sides, what kind of hooks do i wanna use? and what kind of rig set up is suggested?
    2. if using live bluegill, what kind of hook and where do i hook the fish? what kind of rig should i use for this? any pics or diagrams will be helpfull.
    3. how long will the blugill last in a bucket of watter?

2. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I love circle hooks for rigging bait. Bluegills will stay good in a bucket ( with aeration) for quite a long time. the river looks like it is on the way up, so be careful. Have fun

3. catfish9

catfish9 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I would have to agree that circle hooks are the way to go.Bluegill will stay for awhile,but goldfish can survive all day with the temps outside now.I work right by the river and it is high so watch the launch.good luck

4. charbob4jesus

charbob4jesus New Member

State:
    missouri
    is the river gonna bring me bad luck since it it high?

5. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I don't think it will bring you bad luck as much as the river levels can go up and down pretty dramatically in a short amount of time. I think that the fishing is always better when the river is on the rise

6. charbob4jesus

charbob4jesus New Member

State:
    missouri
    i sure hope so, Thanks

7. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Fishing is better on the rise and worse on a fall, but with the water coming this fast you need to be very careful out there. A flooded river can be very dangerous.

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    The river peaked on Sun, and will be on a steady drop for awhile. The biggest challenge might be finding a place on the bank that isn't too muddy. Here is a link to the gauge above Kaw Point so that you can see what the river is doing: http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ks/nwis/uv/?site_no=06892950&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060

Be sure to have adequate sinkers, on Sunday a 12oz'er wouldn't have held, but 6-8 oz should be plenty now. When it drops to normal levels, 3 oz will work unless you have a big live bait to hold down.

9. catfish9

catfish9 New Member

State:
    kansas
    The beauty about the kaw is that there are many spots but it all depend on where you want to drive.Kaw point is always good,or 435 or grinter(careful),there is also kansas ave, and woodend rd.Well good luck out there.Thanks for the link gary very useful

10. charbob4jesus

charbob4jesus New Member

State:
    missouri
    nswer me one more quick question. I know there has got to be some trick for spooling the reel with out the line exploding off the reel after you cast it.

11. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    LOL!! I'm assuming you have a baitcaster?? try this...........

Before You Cast

Step1 Set the reel drag tight enough so that it will offer resistance when a big fish pulls out line but not so tight that it offers no give. You should not have to readjust the drag while fishing.

Step2 Attach the lure you plan to cast to your line.

Step3 Set the line brake as high as it will go.

Step4 Hold the rod and reel in front of you, parallel to the ground. Click the line release button so that the lure starts falling to the ground.

Step5 Adjust the line brake tension so that the lure slowly falls to the ground and your line stops paying out once it hits the ground. You will have to readjust this setting when you switch to a lure of a different weight

12. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I don't use baitcasters very much so I'm not very good with 'em. Seems like i have a lot fewer backlash problems if I use more weight than I normally would with a spinning outfit. General rule if I try to use a lure or weight less than 1/2 oz I don't try to use the baitcaster cuz I'm just asking for a rats nest.On the kaw I might use 6 oz on the baitcaster as opposed to 3 oz on spinning . On the Missouri I use 8 or 12 oz on the baitcaster.I have a retarded thumb....don't know if this helps but in combination with adjusting the reel brake like he said I haven't had a single rats nest this year.