Kaw lake

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by shadmaster, Jul 24, 2008.

1. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    Went to Kaw yesterday. I put in about 5pm and wanted to fish until about mid morning. The lake level is pretty close to normal and the water is slightly murky. I talked to the gate attendant on the way in. He said that some of the campers had been catching a few blues but they were mostly small. They were using jugs with perch. Took me a while to locate and net some shad. They were up the river along the sandy banks in about three feet of water. I wasn't seeing any fish on my sonar except real small stuff in small schools. I went up the river to Coon Creek area to check out the state fishing report (good?). Not good. I fished all night in the river. Fished about 45 min in any one spot. I tried to stay near the bait fish. I still never saw any decent size fish on sonar. I fished till daylight and never had a bite on fresh cut and live shad. I gave it to them and went home. This was a duplicate of another trip a few days ago on the Cimarron off of Keystone. I keep trying but its been mightly slim for too long. Guess I'll go back to my knitting.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    What blues I've been finding has been in 20 to 25 feet water depth, but there is not many of them.

3. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    4 of us went to Kaw today and caught 36 blues from 3- 13 pounds. We caught 8-10 9" - 11" stockers which were tossed back. They were in 10-12' of water and were caught from 4 feet to 8 feet down on fresh shad. The water temp was 77 degs with rain and light breeze from East. The bite was a morning bite.

catman george

4. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    Going to fish Kaw in september for my vacation. Hope I have some good luck. I talked to some people shocking the lake last time I was there and they said all the big one's are at coon creek and traders bend. Maybe they're waiting to bite till I get there! Hope so!

5. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    I wanted to throw in one other thing, my great uncle fished that lake and was a great outdoorsman. His knowledge of the lake was overwelming. He passed this week and I believe that a great number of fish have been spared because of his passing. So the fishing should pick up soon down there. Tommy Shouse R.I.P.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    WOW, what a combination. A Mississippi Man, living in Indiana (or was it Illinois) and wearing an OU hat. What a way to make a statement. LOL

7. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    Yeah, I was born and raised in OK, being from there you know first hand how OU fans can be. Definately a fan for life! The Mississippi part is the river I fish here in Illinois. When I used it for my name, I forgot about the country song. Good song though.