Kaw Lake

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catman george, Mar 10, 2008.

1. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Kaw Lake blues are alive and well! We caught 17 yesterday that weighed approx 200 pounds. The fish are 5 feet from the surface. We found fish for 1/2 mile and all were from 5 to 10' down. My buddies caught 60 with the bulk from 10-15 pounds. My biggest was around 25. We had 4 below 5 pounds and the rest were 10 +. This pattern should last for 30 days or so. One other boat was advised as to where to fish and how to fish and at the end of the day they had not caught a fish. They were drifting with shiners and we were using cut shad. What was sad was that they were drifting exactly where I told them but they did not have cut shad.:sad2:
    catman

2. dent60

dent60 New Member

State:
    kansas
    :confused2:whoa sounds like you had a heck of a day. what part of lake were you fishing, we tried coon creek monday didnot do any good think the water is to cold. tried to find shad and could not find any. fyi we went north into the river. thanks and good luck.

3. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Mike - You drove right over the fish. We were there Sunday and the fish are still there. The water temp is 42 -43.5 degs. You have to have fresh shad or you will do no good.

catman

4. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    So George, exactly where are the fish? Getting ready to head over there in a few days. Are they up North past the Coon creek area? What depth were you fishing in? You said they were down 5 to 10 ft but how deep was the water?

5. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I was North of the Coon Creek launch in 12' of water. If you do not have fresh shad then you probably will not get any fish.

catman

6. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    GEORGE, i also heard that they were catching them around the washunga bay area,have you heard anything.are you talking about the area around bird island on the east side?

7. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    also where where you geting your shad?have you been out to the old stone bridge east of town,darn,i cant rember the name off hand.

8. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I would expect them at washunga as well. My friends brought the shad from Great salt Plains dam. No shad no fish.

catman

9. dent60

dent60 New Member

State:
    kansas
    FRiends from wichita went to washuga sunday. They said the did not get any bites. They were using stinkbait.

10. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Long drive to use stink bait.:wink: Its well worth the time to find fresh shad.

11. dent60

dent60 New Member

State:
    kansas
    i hear you we usally only stinkbait on kaw. we usally limit out by 2 or 3oclock.We catch blues up to 20lbs and channels up to 12. Washunga is really good on stink bait if there is any wind.

12. dent60

dent60 New Member

State:
    kansas
    forget to mention we use only harths stink bait. if anyone is intersted contact me and i will help you get a hold of him its cheaper to buy it by the 1-5 gals. good luck to every one.

13. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    And that's why they didn't get any bites.....gotta use fresh cut bait.