Kaw Lake

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by hookslinger, Jun 6, 2007.

1. hookslinger

hookslinger Member Supporting Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Name:
    Tony
    I,m going to be in the Ponca City area in a couple weeks for business and wondering if anybody knows any hot spots at Kaw or any other ponds or lakes in that area? Also any feedback on agood bait shop. Any information will greatly apprecated.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    First off, let me welcome you to the BOC. This is simply a great place to brush up on techniques or to add to your knowledge of cat fishing - among other things. LOL

I have only fished at the Kaw Dam's tailrace. When they are releasing water you need one large sinker, 5 ounces minimum, to find bottom, and you'll probably lose it in two or three casts. However, they do pull some fairly decent blues out of the water. There is a bait store on the left side of the high way as your leaving Ponca City. I thought they were reasonable in their prices. To fish for blues below in the tail race, cut shad seems to be a decent producer. Sometimes you can dip shad out of the water with a landing net...other times you couldn't find one with a stick of dynamite. That also is the only place in Oklahoma I have had my fishing license checked in about the last 15 years. There are others who fish Kaw regularly and hopefully they will come on the thread and give you more information. Tight Lines, friend.

3. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Coon Creek and Washunga Bridge areas are good year round on Kaw.

Catman george

4. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    The lake is extremely flooded last reports I got was the ramp at coon was closed and the few people that have managed to get on the water say the bite is really slow:sad2:

5. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i think it is sooner lake not far from there (maybe 10 to 15 miles) that has some decent walk in from the hiway fishing. it is a power plant lake. crappie and white or sand bass fishing is good there at times. there is ia store along the hiway on the reservation that always gives us pretty good advice. i only get to fish there once a year but we usually do real good.

6. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    Howdy all. Just joined up and would like to hear from somebody that fishes Kaw on a frequent basis. I usually go there 2 or 3 times a week but have recently stopped due to the high water. My last few trips over I couldn't buy a fish. The lake was dirty and full of debri. I live about 50 miles away and those trips are pretty expensive. Hope the action picks up soon as I am suffering withdrawal pains.

7. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Welcome to the board, Bill! :big_smile:

I don't fish Kaw, but I guarantee you that someone who does will jump in here pretty quick. This place is thick with folks who know a lot about catchin catfish.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Let me add my welcome also. I do hope things at Kaw changes soon as we have a week trip planned to span the 4th. Don't usually go over a major holiday, but am still up in the air about Keystone and wanted to try another one soon. LOL Do you fish the tail race any? Last I had heard they were catching cats and the other "bait" fish there. LOL

9. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    I fish from a boat and alternate between Kaw and the Cimmaron arm off of Keystone. I haven't had good fishing in several months. Overall this has been the worst past 6 months I've ever had. It has gotten so expensive I've had to cut back on my trips and be more selective when I go. I think in the future I'm going to take a tent and stay two days. Sure tired of the rain. This should have been one of the best fishing months of the year but with all the rain it has been my worst.

10. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Jan and I were at Kaw on June 8. Spent about 8 hours below the dam. You can see in my avatar how much water they were running, and they have had about another 10 or 11 inches of rain. We were on the east side, the west side was thick with catfisherman. You look down the row and it looked like fishn rods growin outta the rocks.

We did get a few good bites but i think it was mostly gar. Any way we had a good day on the river. I'm takin the boat next time and fish the rip rap at the bridge, just east of Kaw City, Sarge Creek I think.

Good luck, you guys, as I said before Kaw is my favorite.. 90% of the time you'll be doin some good catching.

11. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    OOPS, on the wrong therad, You guys at Tenkiller need to fish Kaw too. sorry!!!

12. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    I will be there in a couple of weeks too. Hope the water goes down, or is at least managable. You can also fish Lake Ponca but you will need additional permits, and they run routine checks, or at least while I'm there they do. You get the permits at the lake patrol office. Lots of good places to fish at Kaw or Lake Ponca as long as they are biting! LOL! You can also fish the Salt fork, Arkansas or Chikaskia Rivers, but I don't know if any of this helps, since I'm not local I can't tell you what all the water levels are.

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Hi Troy, darn fine headgear you have there. You the guy old Conway Twitty/Loretta Lynn was singing about? LOL

14. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    Spent the day on Kaw Sunday. Got skunked. The shad had moved to the river several miles North. Caught one small channel but I was looking for the Blues. Narry a bite. Not even a drum. Water muddy, debri and no decent fish showing on my locater. This is just what I expected but I had to try anyway. With conditions as they are and the forecast for more rain it looks like it will be that way for a long time. Put in at Sarge creek and the loading dock walkway still under water. The lake is down a little from about a week ago but that is just a drop in the bucket. This has been the worst spring I've ever had. Lots of boaters on the water but I only saw one fisherman. Guess the word is out.

15. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    Yeah maybe so, I think if I wore any other hat the family would have me deported. Doesn't matter though, I'll die a sooners fan!

16. mississippi man

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    Fished Kaw the last 5 days with some luck but it took a lot of hard work, and more patience than I have. Oh yeah, and a $30 rain suit from wal-mart and a pair of $5 water socks because it is just not worth filling up my shoes up with rainwater.

I Caught a 7lb blue and a blue that was smaller than the hook at Coon Creek, a 4lb blue and 2 2lb blues on jugs above the dam.

If you are looking for shad GOOD LUCK! I could sum it all up with my trip to washunga bay. I lost 2 cast nets because all the shad are hiding in the flooded vegetation on the shore line, and I really don't like anything but fresh bait. So I just had to have them. About 2 hours of throwing for shad = 12 shad. Sure was sore after that. Not to mention frustrated about having to repair my nets.

Can't say I haven't been spoiled by this lake in the past it is just tough fishing lately.

17. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Kaw Lake water level is targeted to be back to normal around August 15, 2007 according to a rep from ODWC. Maybe we can start fishing finally for cars.

catman george

18. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Kaw has turned on for blues. I had a report of 70 keepers caught yesterday up to 25 pounds plus on jugs. Several fish were around 25 but mostly 2-6 pounders with a flattie or 2 thrown in. Fish mainly caught from 10' to 15' on shad. Some jugs had 3-4 fish on at 1 time. The sandies for hot too. The boat was loaded with fish in the 1 - 2.5 # range all caught on slabs bouncing bottom. The fellas could not bounce the slabs more than 4-5 times before they had a hit. Lots of 10" sandies mixed in with the bigger fish.:big_smile:
    This report you can take to the bank!
    catman george