Kaw Lake

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by TDawgNOk, Aug 15, 2005.

1. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Kay County, 8 miles E of Ponca City, OK
    17,040 acres
    Shoreline: 168 miles

Kaw Lake impounds water of the Arkansas River. The lake site was a point of controversy between the federal government and Indians prior to the turn of the century. In 1870, the Osage Indians were finally forced to occupy the land that was originally know as the Cherokee Strip, 500,000 acres of what is now Osage County.
    The Kaw Public Hunting Area consists of 16,254 acres of project lands around the lake. The area provides habitat and hunting opportunities for deer, turkey, quail, waterfowl, squirrel and rabbit, as well as a 2,900 acres migratory bird refuge. Fish species common in the lake are channel and flathead catfish, crappie, white bass, black bass and striped bass.

Attached Files:

2. okie catfish hunter

okie catfish hunter Member

State:
    Ponca City, OK
    Anyone else on the board fish Kaw Reservoir ??

3. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    I do from time to time in the old river channel east of Kildair.
    Most of the time I fish the Arkansas river fro Traders Bend to Hilltop.
    Loop

4. okie catfish hunter

State:
    Ponca City, OK
    I was east of Kildare Monday evening. Looked like I drove to the wrong place. The river channel was ten feet off the bank and the current was unlike I have ever seen it. East of the old river channel was shallow enough birds were walking around. I live within 5 or 6 miles of there and it's one of my favorite spots to fish from the bank.

5. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    The reson the river flow was so strong is because they have 4 gates open.Gee we wouldn't want Keystone to be down for the Labor Day people that would be unthinkable.It happens every holiday thet let water out for Keystone no matter what the effects it has on Kaw.
    By the way that river channel has some big blues an channels in it.
    Loop

6. okie catfish hunter

State:
    Ponca City, OK
    Pulled a 15 pound blue out of there a couple of weeks ago on DK punch bait

7. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    I fished the edge of that channel streight east of the old concreat foundation with my brother an came home with 23 from 5 to 21lbs. The ones in the 5 to 10lb range were on Hearth's an Sonny's dip bait the rest were on whole an cut shad.
    Loop

8. okie catfish hunter

State:
    Ponca City, OK
    Wow that was a good day, when was that? We fished just a little north of there Monday an caught 3 dinks and 3 eaters but nothing over 3 pounds. We do some jugging between there and Coon Creek with pretty good success.Haven't been able to this year yet I've got my pontoon apart replacing the deck.Hope to have it on the water in a month or so after it cools off a bit.

9. babyhuey

babyhuey New Member

State:
    OKLA RIVER RAT
    i fish where saltcreek dumps into arkansas couple blues on cut perch. going to limblines no luck on rod and reel

10. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    The bunch my brother an I caugh was last year when the water was up by the old foundation.We fished the river bed streight east of it.
    Loop

11. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Hey Okies, Sara and I caught 17 eaters Saturday down in the lake. probably had 15 lbs of nice clean meat. Didn't have anything over 3 lbs. But, that is the size we fish for.We didn't get on the lake until 10:am and came home at 2:pm. Most of the time was spent taking the rest of My pictures around the shore. Wanted to take all the shoreline from Washunga South to the bridge then West to the bank and then North to the mouth of the Arkansas. East to the Bank and all the way South around to Washunga again. I Wanted to get pictures of the Coves and Stump Areas. Took them in a sequence so I can locate the spots when the lake is up. Loop I intend to get down to Meet You pretty soon. Sounds to Me like I got some fishing Buddies living right in My back Yard. Loop, Ben Harth is a friend of Mine, I've used his Bait for 25 years. I usually mix it up a little--a little shad--a little soap--a little jello--a little canned milk--a little lard. You know what I mean--a little :p . CatFish Hunter are You retired? Tried to look at your profile but nothin there..We need to get acquanted. I'm up in Arkansas City and I'm retired. So, I can fish anytime Mostly--Cept when Sara lines Me up with jobs for all the Old Ladies. Get Me at Slowpoke1@cox.net
    See Ya!! Carl

12. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Stubby: You got some good fishing right up in your area,Cowly county lake,Grouse Creek.You ever do any river fishing?
    Loop

13. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Loop I used to fish the river all the time when I had the air boats--I don't care much for Cowley lake , it's fished to heavy. You not workin' today? I like to wade the river and just poke along, but Sara is having a fit because I been going by myself. Right now I'm getting ready to go out to Ben Harths and see about 5 gallon of bait. I don't know what He is charging for it, I haven't bought any for 2 years. The last I bought was Sonnys, darn good bait but I always liked Bens.
    See Ya
    Carl

14. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Wish I could say I was off today but can't next day off is Friday.Working a late shift today.
    Ask him about his pricing I might be interested in getting a bunch,or you could give him my e-mail addy.
    Loop

15. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    I don't know what I did .but I just spun one hell of a yarn and hit some key that wiped it all out!!! Got 5 Gallon in 1 gallon buckets for $100.00 bucks. I could have gotten 5 gallon of Sunnys for $90.00. I already doctored 2 gallon of the Harths and Probably won't ever get a bite on it. Right!! Added 2 qts of Shredded shad and a few other goodies. Okie Hunter--You must live in our area pretty close. You retired? or just tired. Want some help on the Boat? I'm mostly bored stupid biggest share of the time and would be glad to help. Got to take Sara fishing once a week other than that I'm available to help. I added pole holders to Stinky Boat today and Welded some guide on poles to the Trailer. Any body ever change a stick stear to wheel on a Tracker?
    E-Mail Me if You want Me to help Hunter
    I'll see You some time this week Loop.
    Have Fun
    Stubby!

16. okie catfish hunter

State:
    Ponca City, OK
    Nope not retired, got a few years to go. Don't have a lot left to do on the pontoon. The deck and carpet are done just have to get a console built and the steering, throttle, etc. mounted. Then it's just a matter of getting some seating figured out. No way I'm paying what they want for pre-fab seating. I've got three new fishing seats I picked up at Acadamy in Edmond. Seriously thinking about truck tool boxes for seating and storage. I live NE of Ponca City and would be interested in meeting up with any of you guys for a days (or nights) fishing, any time I'm not at work (Mon-Fri 7:00-3:30).

17. okie catfish hunter

State:
    Ponca City, OK
    I'm beginning to wonder if they are ever going to get the lake back to a semi-normal level. I really like fishing the north end of the lake but not at this level. Anyone having any luck anywhere on Kaw now ??

18. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    Kaw Lake is a great cat lake. My mother in law and father in law are school teachers in Shilder. When we come up to see them I bring the boat with me and do some cat fishing on the northeast side of the lake. I caught some nice 3 to 6 pounders. I heard that muscles are starting to show up in the river? I hope that's not true? I know kansas has had a major problem with them.

19. okie catfish hunter

State:
    Ponca City, OK
    Did some jugging over the weekend with pretty good success. Set most of them out east of coon creek cove along the rock ledges. Set a few north of there and did good with them as well. A lot of fish in the 8-12 pound range. Just one fish over 20. The shad were schooled up pretty good as well, just look for the birds. Can't wait to do it again in a couple of weeks.

20. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    gona try to make it down there Sunday the 6 . I heard the were bighting good up by fishermansbend. Is the water deep enought to get a boat in there? Or dump in at coon or bear creek and then go on north.