Kaw lake open water?

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by KansasKatter, Jan 2, 2008.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Hey all, thinking about heading south this weekend, since it is supposed to be almost 60 degrees, is there plenty of open water on the Kaw, or is it frozen up like everything around here?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated as well!

2. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    The water will be fine...no frozen water here in Okla. There's a few times where way back in some coves with no wind they will get a little ice, but Kaw is mainly a North/South lake and usually plenty of wind to keep ice if any from forming.
    Kaw is a good blue lake and usually even better during the winter but I don't fish the main body of the lake......too many other lakes closer for me to drive to. I do fish on occasion below the dam during the spring while driving for work but now is not the time to be fishing below there. I'd fish it like any other lake in Okla during the winter and look for the creek and river channels in the lake, deep holes. Shallow windy points on warm sunny days also.

3. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i don't never fish kaw, to far away for me, but my uncle brought me 61 crappie from two days ago, 01-03-08, he didn't have any problem getting in, probably 10 or 12 would go lb or lb 3/4 or so

4. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    Went to the flats sun.afternoon on the north east side for about 4 hrs and nothing,the waters up about 4-6 ft.

5. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    We didn't do any good either, we had motor problems so could only get up to "putt" speed and did not want to get very far from the ramp.

Still nice just to get out on a 65 degree day in January though!:big_smile: