Kaw experts, do you catch sandies below the dam...

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by osageCo_flathead, Feb 25, 2008.

1. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    and when do they normally start to run? I would guess mid march but some waters differ.

2. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yup mid March to 3rd week of March should catch the beginning of the run.

Catman george

3. SunburntAgain

SunburntAgain New Member

State:
    Tulsa, OK
    Now, I aint no expert on Kaw, but I do have about 6 seasons of intensive fishing experience on the Arkansas River between Keystone and Coweta on the River for all kind of species. I imagine that your northern stretch of the river may have similar habits. Sandies are one of my favorite species because of the fast action that can be had durring their spring and fall runs to the dams or other major obstructons. In springtime, I've noticed that as soon as the dogwood trees start blooming in mass you better be fishing the dam's as frequently as possible durring that week. If youre persistent you'll find some of the fastest fishing you've ever seen. And from my experience if you can catch the early edge of the run youll catch the biggest fish, the 3+ LBers seem to migrate first followed by the swarms of 1/2 lbers. 2 years ago I caught a sandy below Zink dam durring the early run that hung 6lbs on a spring scale, photoed and released. Traditionally you can look for this to happen between mid march to mid April depending on the warming trend of the year. I hope this helps.

4. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    if you are looking for sandies at Kaw try vickery ranch on the upper end of beaver creek strait east of Newkirk:cool2:

5. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Beaver and Otter have some BIG crappie as well. If these are the same small creeks I am thinking of around Shidler. We caught some very nice ones 2 years ago....I am truckless at the moment so I can only go were the ford 500 takes me LOL. The wife just graduated college so I will get another truck here soon. The ole 92 4 runner finally died one me. Thanks for the tips