Kaw Boat Ramp

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by catman73, Mar 7, 2008.

1. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    I know that this has been brought up before, but I was going to Topeka yesterday and I saw a boat ramp from the turnpike bridge. It was to the south of the turnpike, in or near Lawrence. Does anyone know what park or where this ramp is located. Is there any good fishing there?? I do not have a boat but just thought about checking it out.

2. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    there are 2 ramps in the area that you are talkin about. the one you seen is the rowing club ramp that i think is restricted. i dont know for sure cuz i never went down there to check. there is another ramp at riverfront park which is accessed from 24 hwy at the light by the teepee building. i was just down there last week, looks like a good place to me. if i remember correctly it is open from like 6-7 am to 11 pm. Catdaddy Shumway was just puttin in when Lucky & i pulled up so there must be some good spots near there.

3. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
  4. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Jason is right on about that being for the KU Womens rowing crew, not really a ramp............just a cut in the bank to their floating dock. That whole area is closed right now for the construction of a new "crew" building and boat storage area. The dock is worth paying a visit to, things been in the river for close to 4 years now and hasn't been washed away.........neat design if your into that kind of thing. It's on an outside bend to boot, so it's seen some debris!!

Saw a boat anchored up between the bridge and that dock last week............anyone here??

With any luck I'll be fishing the river more this year, don't miss the gar but do miss the solitude. If any of you all ever put at the 8th street ramp in N. Lawrence, give me a shout, I live about 2 blocks from there.........would enjoy meeting some members. Found out that the City does have a contract to have both Riverfront and 8th street to get locked up at night. Sorta nice to know your vehicle is behind a locked gate, but sort of a bummer you have to spend the night.

That liked to have killed me, awful long winded for my once a month post:wink:

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Charlie

It will be fun to hear some Kansas River catfish reports out of you this year. I was up your way a couple of times last year, fished from the bank near the 8th Street ramp for a couple of hours one day, but it was during the week and I figured you were working. Did spot your new boat sitting in your driveway there.

I'm working on a new boat big enough for the rivers down this way, and I'll pretty much be living out there in April and May. It's a v-hull that I probably wouldn't put in the shallow water too often, but if you can make it down to Kaw Point you will always have a seat in my boat.

KCGeoff moved to a place only about a mile from me here, and I'm looking forward to fishing with him a bit more this year, too.

It's good to see ya posting.

6. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

charlie... hope to get to spend a night killing bait with ya agin this season.how ya been?

7. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    if you guys ever want fishing company down there let me know. kinda lame going by yourself all the time, and i'm kinda of a river rookie. i used to just fish around the cedar creek boat ramp access to the river in desoto.
    jake

8. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    If you ever get back to the desota orea give me a call.

9. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    alright will do. i plan on going out there a lot over the summer to both fish and kayak.

10. mustad1

mustad1 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I fished the area in Lawrence with catdaddy shumway last fall north of the turnpike in Lawrence. Just happend to be a morning the rowing team was practicing. i have never had so much problem concentrating on my rods. Those rowing girls have thigh muscles that would crush you!!!
    We caught some nice kitties- catfish that is- and had a nice sightseeing trip as well.
    Fishing with catdaddy always leaves me with sore ribs from non stop laughter and hearburn from his hot pepper cooking!!

11. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    What size fish were you catching? post some pics if youve got them. :big_smile:

12. mustad1

mustad1 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    well, i would say 36-28-36....these chicks had abs!!!!!!! he he he.
    Biggest about 10lbs- flatties on goldfish. just find a little brush- or i mean- brush pile...
    I will try it again with my boat someday-not a lot of current and good water depth even though it was fall.