Kaw below Lawrence for flathead & channel catfish

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by mcseal2, Jun 16, 2009.

1. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    Provided the water is not to crazy, a friend of mine and I are planning to explore the Kaw somewhere below Lawrence, and probably camp and fish Friday and Saturday. Any advice on what ramp to use, and where to fish and camp would be appreciated. We will probably fish logjams from the boat with cutbait during the day for channnel, and from preferably from a sandbar in a good location at night for flathead. Some fish will probably be on the nest, but we are rained out of haying so I had better fish while I can. Thanks for any help in advance.

Heath

2. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The river is pretty high right now. You have to watch the gauges and decide if you want to be out there or not. Probably very few sandbars available.

3. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I saw the levels were climbing up here too. I will have to see what the weekend brings. I was going to head to MO and fish the Missouri and Grand, but they got way more rain than we did. I may be rained off the rivers all together. I have a 1648 with a 31hp, so I will see if I feel comfortable or not.

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    The level should be ok by Saturday, but finding a place to get out of the boat that isn't covered in mud from being recently under water will be a challenge. Best bet might be to launch below Bowersock and get out on that rock / sand island just below the dam

5. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    Gary is right, there has been a lot of fish caught off that island.

6. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've caught a few fish off that island too. I want to get up there and fish it again sometime.

7. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    Mud doesn't bother me, just part of catfishing. I might give that island a try and see what happens. We will probably explore most of the day Friday to see what is there, and then settle in Friday night. I hate to miss the chance to see new water while I am up that way, even if it is to high to see everything. I don't mind fishing out of the boat all night if we find a good spot, I just hope to find a decent campsite to base out of. If we don't, we can leave the camping gear at my uncle's in Lawrence and just fish. Thanks for all the good info. Anyone tried further down by Eudora or De Soto?

8. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    You might be able to fish the Mud Creek area if the water drops enough to fish the island. There are some good bank spots in Eudora aswell but again the water needs to drop quite a bit.

9. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Heath, good luck on the river this weekend. I think the 8th street ramp would be your best bet, you can make Eudora less than 40 minutes.

Dam keyboard is acting up, give me a call. 423-0980.

10. Tuttlecat

Tuttlecat Active Member

State:
    Wamego, Kansas,
    FYI Tuttle Creek is forecasting doubling the outflow(8000) Friday, so be careful if you nod off on the island:eek:oooh:

11. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The river is way up here. I went over it today and there are no signs of any sand bars. Plenty of trees and grass clippings floating down though. :smile2:

12. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Was 24' at the KCK gauge {Turner Bridge] that's 12 feet high but it dropped 3 feet today.

13. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    My fishing partner bailed on me anyway for this weekend, so the trip is off for now. I will try again later this summer when haying permits. Thanks a bunch to everyone for the information, this board is great about that. My fishing buddy said that they would not be biting now anyway, they would all be on the nest but I proved him wrong tonight. I broke my PB, caught the nicest flat I have caught to date. I had a Walmart Berkley scale that went to 50lbs and it hit 52.8 before the chain and hook broke off. Not sure how big he really was, but definitely my best. I released it there, since they are spawning now and I didn't want to move it trying to get to a certified scale before releasing it. I will get pics posted tomorrow when I have more time and a more modern computer. Please feel free to add me as a friend and let me know how you do down there and I will let you know what is happening upstream of Topeka.

Thanks, Heath

14. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    wish i could get somethin here in topeka. 6 days straight with nothin :sad2:

15. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    You are sticking it out, that is great. No amount of gear or knowlege can help if your line is not in the water. You catch some nice fish from you posts, just give it time. I have been fishing flathead for since I could drive and just finally broke 50. You can do everything right on flathead and they still have to want to bite. Nothing can replace time on the water in good locations, and it sounds like you have that down.

16. StiffPole

StiffPole New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    Man, I hear you there. I have been on the Kaw at the Delaware, John Redmond, the Neosho, Melvern and the Marais Des Cygnes, Pomona and the Dragoon all in the last week and not a fish from any of them. Got a few bites above Redmond by the log jam before it started to rain. When it started to rain hard we moved in the trees to try to stay a little less wet. About then my wife called and said there was a storm headed our way with high winds and hail. I told her that it was already raining and the truck was quite a little trip away since we had my partners boat with a 5 h.p. motor. I had no more hung up the phone and the wind started to blow…hard. My friend asks what I thought- before I could say anything crrraaaacccck a big tree not to far from us broke and fell. Less than two minutes later another big tree right behind us broke and fell. He said hell with this- we’ll take our chances out in the open. I was dreading cutting across that corner of the lake because even on somewhat calm days there can be waves that almost come over the sides of a 14’ boat and it was far from calm and the boat already had a lot of water just from the rain. Luckily the wind was coming from the right direction, God was watching out for us, or something, because it wasn’t half as bad as I was thinking it was going to be. We made it back to the truck after stopping only once to bail water. That part of the storm was pretty much passed by this time so we went up to Jacobs Creek and fished from the bank until the next round hit- lots more rain and hail. Then we loaded up and moved over to the low water dam below the spillway in Burlington. Tell me we weren’t determined to catch a fish before we came home. We still returned pictureless, and have every night since. I know after all of that- I got a big one coming soon…..I hope.:crazy:

17. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    im just mad i didnt get that one last week that treated me like a punk :angry:.

18. StiffPole

StiffPole New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    I thought you were going back that next night, or the night after that to get him? Didn't make it back down there- or went back only to get mad all over again?

19. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i went back the 6 nights after that. water was goin down, nothin, water was commin up, nothin. i got to thinkin though, ya think it still was stuck after i broke it off ??

20. liltroy

liltroy New Member

State:
    Salina, Kansas,
    jj hey bud you would be suprised how far them flats travel in one day. theyare very much a mobile fish. in-fisherman magazine had an article on the fact that flats move more.