"KatBobber Fishing Tips!!!!

Discussion in 'WILD WOLF TACKLE' started by akwolf41, Jun 18, 2006.

1. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    I will make some posts here to help you Fish with our KatBobber to inprove your catch percentages.

FLATHEAD Fishing:

From about an hour before Dark til Daylight fish the Katbobber in 8 to 10 foot deep water along the bank. Bait with live Bluegill or Shad. Use a 5/0 to 7/0 Kahle Hook and and set your bobberstop at approx 5 foot depth. Use a 1 to 2 0Z Egg sinker to keep your bait from moving around too fast. Naturally fish water that you know holds Flatheads. If your bait brings the KatBobber into too shallow of water, Recast back into the target depth.

That time of night is when them Flats like to cruise around looking for the Bluegill and other baitfish in the shallows. They are looking for the "ALL YOU CAN EAT BUFFET". You may want to scrape some scales off on one side of your live bait as to put some enzymes into the water to help them find that bait. I prefer to hook gills and shad through the lips. Come up through the bottom and then the top lip. I believe that it will improve the hookset %. Watch your Katbobber action, you will definately notice when your bait gets a case of "I gotta get outta here attitude". After Dark use a glow stick in the Bobber. Now this is FUN fishing. I usually try and put out 3 poles when I am fishing like I have described. If there is a Flathead in the vicinity, You will have a hookup soon. When you get a Fish taking the KatBobber across the water or burying it you can sset the Hook if you like or Just start reeling as the KatBobber has already Hooked it by the design of the bobber itself.

Enjoy & Good Luck:

Gene

PS: Next Post will be Blues and then Channel.

2. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Thanks for the bobbers, and the tips. I am definetly going to get some good use out of them when I return from this trip. Things stay the way they are I will be home for almost a month this time. WOO HOO, fishing time!!:big_smile_2:

3. akwolf41

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Now Blue Cat Fishing with the KatBobber.

BLUECATS:

The Blue Cat acts and Feeds different than Flats and Channels in my opinion. You can catch Blue cats at all kinds of different depths on all kinds of baits.
    They like Live Bluegills, Shad, Crawdads, Cut Bait of all kinds, Worms, Grasshoppers, Dip and prepared Baits.

In my opinion, Blues can be found and caught in any depth of water. A lot of the juggers catch them in 30, 40 to 90 feet of water and only have their baits suspended 5 to 10 feet under the jugs. That tells you that the Blues will come to the bait and they are cruisers at all depths.

If you are fishing from a boat, idle around with your depthfinder and mark fish, and Big Fish. Most of the time if you are in water holding blues, that is what you are seeing. Anchor up or Drift with the KatBobbers suspending Bait to the depth that you marked fish. Daytime,or night The Blue cat will take a bait if he is in his or her feeding cycle. In otherwords "Put the Bait in their Face"

If fishing from the bank, Figure out about how far you can cast and if you have an idea of the depth, put you bait under the KatBobber halfway down to the bottom for Blues. If no action, go deeper, but halfway should work.
    Try these tips and unless them Blues have Lockjaw, you should get some action.

I am not a PRO but this is what works for me:
    Enjoy and Good Luck:

Gene

4. akwolf41

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Ok Now we will address the Channel cat:

CHANNEL CAT:

This Catfish is the most widely distributed cat in the country. They have them in all states except Alaska I believe. They can be the easiest catfish to catch and I know at times they play the LOCKJAW Game too. About any bait that you can think of, a Channel will at one time or the other take it. They also will take live bait, But Cut Bait, Worms, crickets, Hotdogs, chicken livers, and I could go on for a while on baits that they like. Now MY Dad(God Bless his sole) used to tell me all the time, "When you are outta worms, You are outta BAIT" At Times I guess he was right, but a guy or gal that fishes for channels needs to switch baits if you are fishing the ole "Honey Hole" and nothing is happening. I am a believer that the Channel is basically a bottom feeder and my experience has shown that when I fished them to be pretty well true. But they will come almost to the top of the water at times to feed.

When fishing with the KatBobber for Channels I generally set the depth of my bait to about 80% or 90% of the way to the bottom. and have had good luck doing that. But I must confess that I don't fish for channels much and I like a lot of Fishermen and women get in a Rut of HABIT. So Obviously, Let's experiment when times are tough. If Fishing for Channels, You don't need to use our BIG Katbobbers, Our Smallest one is fine for eaters and etc. Now if fishing for Trophy Channels and they are for sure out there then size up to the BIG KatBobbers.

I am not sure that I really gave you any tips here on this Post. Maybe I did but again, I fish almost Totally for Flats and Blues. That is when I can get away and go fishing, This year I have not been out much but am about to change That.

Of Course we have some real PROS out there that are more than welcome to JUMP in here on this thread and HELP ME OUT.

Get Out There and Catch a Gob of them:

Good Luck:

Gene

5. akwolf41

State:
    Kenai, Ala
  6. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I float for channels in the dam tail water. I start near the surface and work my way down . I find that the bigger Channels feed above the smaller ones. Moat of my channels that were over 15# have hit in the top 4 ft of the water.The water ranges from 15 to 35 ft deep.

7. akwolf41

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Thanks Dale;

I appreciate you getting in here and helping get these tips to these guys and gals. I am sorry, I forgot to mention in the baits that they should also try
    "Sand Toads". LOL

Dale get signed up on this KatBobber Challenge:

http://www.akwolf.com/MainWolf/bockatbobberchallenge.htm

Thanks again:

Gene

8. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Gene it is about 3 weeks untill toad season.

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Got my first catfish last night/this morning early on a Katbobber. Was no monster but was nice to see em in action with a glow stick. Will be used again, thanks Gene and Maine.

10. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    We used our Katbobbers at the Ohio gathering and caught a few small cats. The only problem was the bobber stops kept slipping because the wind was beating us pretty bad during the day. The knots slid up and allowed the bait to get to the bottom, then we would get snagged up. I think I had too heavy of sinkers on them.

11. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Gene the link will not work for me.
    Thanks for the info. Sounds like it should work great.
    Pete

12. akwolf41

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Jammer:

The reason your bobberstop knot is slipping is the material you tied it with is probably mono. I use embrodery Yarn and mine will not slip inj any kind of wind or whatever. Try That.

Uncle Pete:

The Reason that link won't work is I finally had that webpage pulled due to lack of interest. LOL

Gene

13. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    the other thing you can do if your knots are slipping is first tie it tighter in the beggining and then secondly put two knots together. In other words, put one knot on and tie it tight and then slip another on and tie it tight and then slip them together so your heavy sinker has to move two knots instead of one. I use store bought ties and they are a fine material and not mono but they will slip occasionally if I don't tie it tight enough at the start.

14. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Great suggestion Gene, will try that. I had the same problem this weekend.

15. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    you could try the plummers teflon tape as Big George showed on his video.

16. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I did have mono on mono and that slips. I also tried the teflon tape and that slipped. I also used the bobber stop knot that you can buy, kind of yellow string on a tube. They worked the best but slipped a little. I will try the embroidery yarn.
    The bobbers work great and it is a lot of fun to have them out with glow sticks and watch them start running and dancing. Can't wait to have one go under and disappear.