Kat Bobbers Deadly From The Bank

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by Mr. Foster, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I mentioned in one of the other post on bank fishing Ive caught allmost all my fish this year 20' or closer. A majority 10' or closer, and Id say about 90% were on a Fat Kat Bobber. I just took a chance one day and ordered a FKB form Pete at Wild Wolf Products. Looked at it for a few weeks and finally tried it. Who would of known this would turn into my favorite style of fishing. The first night I tried it, I put on a large perch and tossed it out a few feet. I didnt really pay to much attention to it because I wasnt so sure it would work. Next thing ya know, I wasnt paying attention and I heard a splash and the bobber was gone. Then it poped back up and this repeated a few times. By then my heart was raceing because I knew whatever was takeing it under had to be big. The next time it took it under it didnt come back up, all I could see was the glow stick cruiseing under the water at a good clip. I didnt have my scale and didnt own a digital camera at the time but my guess compared to my profile pic it was probably around 20lbs. A very nice channel. After catchting that fish for the first time useing the FKB I was hooked. I went about a month and a half with nothing but double digit channels. All fish were caught 20' and closer and all but one was set a 3' deep. So I guess what im saying is its hard to believe how many cats cruise the mid depths. Id also like to mention ive caught all three species of cats also. Jus thought id share a killer tactic. There is alot more to mention about the FKB, I will save it for another post.

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for sharing the report Brent, I lost my first chance at a big fish when I hung him on a cork rig and he hung me up in weeds. :angry:

3. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Brent, killer story! I also have two Kat bobbers. I have had them for two years now and only tried it once(no luck) I plan on attending a gathering in Central Cali at place called Mendota Wild life refuge. After reading your post, I am going to give it another try. I will be using live minnows, and cut bait mostely. I would like to use a live bluegill but it is illeagal here in California.:wink:

Jaime

4. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    i use them at times,where i fish its got lot of current:roll_eyes:

5. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the report Brent. I think I will give bobber fishing a try when I get back from SC. I like to tinker so I will be making my own.

6. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    mankind,a slipfloat rig can be deadly on channels at times in current,throw it upstream from you and let it drift down past you and if it gets to the end of the line reel in and repeat,keep drifting that bait through a good spot and even a cat thats not hungry will get mad a take it. If your fishing along a riprap bank with flathead attracting holes drift a bullhead or other big live bait past then a few times,when they take it don't let them get back in their hole,nailem' quick! Adjust deeper or shallower after a couple drifts to cover the different depths and present to more fish.

7. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Thanks for the post brother.....

8. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    No problem guys, I jus want people to have more fun fishing. It is a rush to see that big Kat Bobber and glow stick go under a couple feet and watch the green light zipping along.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brent thanks for sharing a very informative method for catching cats. I agree the Fat Kat Bobbers is an excellent tool. There is something special seeing that big bobber go under and stay.

10. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I pick up a fish here and there on them.Most of my spots have too much current too.I got a couple holes where I,ll throw one out on my third rod and let if float around in a nice eddy.It is nice watching one go under though!:wink:

11. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yup you can use em in current too. Jus like one gentleman said, cast em up stream and drift em your way and repeat the process. Or like Pat said in an eddie. When the waters up at the dam I fish, the float will make about a 25-30' circle non stop. Either way drifting or in a eddie it covers alot of water.

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very cool, I am a big time slip bobber fisherman!

13. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Brent,

Thanks for that infomative post. The anticipation of wanting to see the bobber go down, and then doing just that has to be one of the biggest adreneline rushes ever recorded by anyone who ever fished. Cool stuff! :cool2:

Ray

14. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Id have to say the anticipation factor is at a 10 when I use the KB. I cant take my eyes off it. The adreniline gets going when you know something is playing with it, and wham, game on.

15. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    :angry: It wasnt a Kat Bobber but I tried one of those green, orange and white bobbers with the wire leader attached to it yesterday. I hooked Gill after Gill on that set up and everytime the Bobber went down I got hyped and those damn notorious James River Crabs kept pulling my gill down and eating them alive. Everytime I casted another one they would eat the head off or the belly off or tail :sad2: Maybe when it gets cold in November/December the Crabs will head back to the Ocean. Does anyone else have this problem?

16. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    That sucks Ramon. Its usually the turtles around here. But I havent had one mess with the KB yet.

17. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
  18. L2druid

L2druid New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the post. I bank fish almost exclusively with katbobbers and I can agree that the anticipation of that bobber going under is pretty extreme.

Really fun to watch those glowsticks take mini journeys as the bait tries to get away then boom, they go under and you see the glow disappearing into the depths. I like the bobber's shape because bait can't pull them under. When it takes a dive you know you have something nice on the line.

In my opinion it is much more fun to watch them than your rod tips/line. I like to see the bait moving around and lively.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  19. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    my buddies and i make our own and have had awsome luck with them in lakes with huge baits got a good # of 20lb flatties this yr and some bigger only running 3 to 6ft over a 15ft creek channel love theses flaots and will keep useing them awsome system for flatheads