Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Shoot, let him try one. I think a lot of guy's get carried away on how long a reel will last. I think the answer depend's on how heavy it's used and how well it is taken care of. Is he gonna fish two days a month, one day a week or six days a week eight hours a day. I love my ABU's but no more than I get to fish I bet they out last me! Then to, how many and how big a fish you target is gonna get into it somewhere. Fishing for little bullheads what's it gonna take to wear out a reel then again if your targeting those big blues and flatheads the theme changes. Be nice to be able to afford all the latest and greatest but for the vast majority of us it isn't necessary. And another thing to consider. Do your really need a reel that will last two lifetime's catching great white sharks? Fishermen are always buying new gear they really don't need. So if a reel only last's a few years, so what, you were ready for something new anyway. I have one pair of hands and can really only work one fishing rod at a time. Let's see, I use level winds for cats and I have 11 of them! I use light spinning for trout, crappie, small mouth bass, ect and I've got 8 of them. Haven't fished for trout in years, mostly with spinning I fish for crappie and small mouth bass! Encourage the guy to sample reels and figure out what he likes. Who know's he might like those Kastkings. If they work for him, are they wrong? I have a light Kastking spinning reel that a kid here in town use's. He will go with me or my son 7 days a week if we'd go that much and he love's this rod of mine. Guarantee one thing about it, no better than he is it's gonna out live him, unless someone steps on it. He's always laying it on the ground!

Guy's do these same question trying to find the perfect rifle or shotgun for their six year old daughter with blond hair! Imagine asking about the perfect woman! One guy's perfection is another guy's h*ll! Let him get the Kastking. He'll like it or he won't!
The way I fish, if I used kastking or similar reels I would have to replace them every year (I know because I have lol). I cant always afford to buy the latest and greatest so I dont. I look for used dependable reels that will last a long time. I often get them at 1/2 MSRP making it around the same cost as a kastking or lower priced reel but knowing they are made out of quality parts and will last many years.

I was just giving my opinion based on my experience with the reels he had mentioned. Feel free to ignore it if you disagree with it.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have beat on the kastking megatron on some big channel cats.no problems but it doesnt have the baitfeeder option like the sharky.i have 5 kastking reels ranging from low profile bass reels,rovers the megatron.no problems.just picked up the Low profile Kastking kapstan 300.it has 35lbs of drag and can hold over 200 yards of 14lb mono.can hold a bunch of braid.going to beat up on some chinook salmon with it soon.

·
Registered
Josh from Alabama
66 Posts
Guys,
One more question. What is your opinion about Okuma Avenger Baitfeeder ABF 55 or 65 for catfishing? I use two Okuma AV 40b for bass fishing for several years without any issues.
The okuma abf 65 is extremely large. I have catfished with the 55 when I first started. It handled blues up to 15lbs ok. My biggest down side would be under heavy load the reel will flex at the handle and reel stem. With reels made from aluminum you will not have this issue. I have had mine for 10 years however I only use them as loaners nowadays. For someone just getting started an okuma 55 with ugly stik catfish 20lb BBG solar collector will catch a lot of fish for under $100. The key is to just get out and fish. The biggest and best won't catch any fish at home.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I have to give KastKing some props today. My Sharky III fell from a 6 ft shelf to a concrete floor and shattered the bail arm. Its been out of warranty for a while, but they replaced the arm for very little money and really fast. I was very impressed. Good thing too. I don't want to go without my favorite carp reel for very long.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts