Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,
My nephew is a new guy in catfishing, and he wants to buy KastKing Sharky 3 or Megatron. What is your opinion? I do not have experience with these reels. I have 2 Penn Pursuit 3 and, in general, I happy with them.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I personally am not fond of kastking reels at all... I had one that fell apart in less than a dozen fish. There are a few people on here that have been running kastking gear for years with no problems. Your just playing Russian roulette with QC as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
I have a sharky 3 bait feeder. it seems nice but I'm only using mine for walleye here in Germany then it'll be a channel cat reel. Seems pretty decent but haven't hooked into anything but a small pike so I can't really give you an accurate review

·
Registered
375 Posts
I’ve owned two of the Sharky 3 bait runners for about 3 years now. I haven’t fished them hard by any means, but they have been ok this far. Nothing has failed and they’re decent on smoothness. Nothing like the bigger name reels, but they’re a fraction of the price. Mine have been used primarily for carp and have landed several double digit fish. It seems to me the biggest problem is the QC gamble. You either get a good one or a bad one. If you’re on a tight budget and you can’t get say a Daiwa Regal BRI then it would probably serve you well. If you have the budget definitely consider stepping up to a Penn, Daiwa or Shimano.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Bob I bought a Sharky iii to save money. I only fish for channel catfish in the 2-10 range nothing bigger. It did ok for the first 6 months except it felt like it would bend and break off on a 6-8 lber. Then the main drag went out. I called Amazon who got me in touch with kastking and customer service was good. Got me new spool cap in 4 days. But I have since switched to Penn fierce iii liveliner they are bullet proof they feel like and there isn't any of the bending that Sharky had. Best of luck

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, Justin, for sharing your experience. I told my nephew to see Penn reels. Now I think he will hear me.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Big fan of the Sharky III's myself. Carp keep mine screaming on a regular basis without any issues. Their clickers are nice and loud, and they're easy to maintain. Price is right too.
I have seen many reviews just like that witch really puzzles me as mine was having problems 5 fish in lol. Just taking chances with the qc. Good batch bad batch etc lol. Hope you were out many more before they kick the bucket!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Shoot, let him try one. I think a lot of guy's get carried away on how long a reel will last. I think the answer depend's on how heavy it's used and how well it is taken care of. Is he gonna fish two days a month, one day a week or six days a week eight hours a day. I love my ABU's but no more than I get to fish I bet they out last me! Then to, how many and how big a fish you target is gonna get into it somewhere. Fishing for little bullheads what's it gonna take to wear out a reel then again if your targeting those big blues and flatheads the theme changes. Be nice to be able to afford all the latest and greatest but for the vast majority of us it isn't necessary. And another thing to consider. Do your really need a reel that will last two lifetime's catching great white sharks? Fishermen are always buying new gear they really don't need. So if a reel only last's a few years, so what, you were ready for something new anyway. I have one pair of hands and can really only work one fishing rod at a time. Let's see, I use level winds for cats and I have 11 of them! I use light spinning for trout, crappie, small mouth bass, ect and I've got 8 of them. Haven't fished for trout in years, mostly with spinning I fish for crappie and small mouth bass! Encourage the guy to sample reels and figure out what he likes. Who know's he might like those Kastkings. If they work for him, are they wrong? I have a light Kastking spinning reel that a kid here in town use's. He will go with me or my son 7 days a week if we'd go that much and he love's this rod of mine. Guarantee one thing about it, no better than he is it's gonna out live him, unless someone steps on it. He's always laying it on the ground!

Guy's do these same question trying to find the perfect rifle or shotgun for their six year old daughter with blond hair! Imagine asking about the perfect woman! One guy's perfection is another guy's h*ll! Let him get the Kastking. He'll like it or he won't!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Guys,
One more question. What is your opinion about Okuma Avenger Baitfeeder ABF 55 or 65 for catfishing? I use two Okuma AV 40b for bass fishing for several years without any issues.

·
Registered
KY, USA
166 Posts
I think Bob is not trying to find a reel that last two lifetime, and nothing wrong with not recommending one that has a lot of bad reviews. We obviously do not want to steer someone to buy a known product with potential problems - that is why we have this forum right? So we can discuss things...

I have no brand preferences and I usually look at reviews and see what folks said in forums. Nothing is perfect but if one has a lot of bad reviews, I stay away from it.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I personally own an okuma avenger 40 baitfeeder and love it I use it for trout and catfishing. It pulls in channel cats smoothly. I just use my Penn's or my Abu 5500 for catfishing now. What kind of fish is your nephew going for, blue and flathead? What size? I'm sure a okuma 65 would catch up to 40ish pounds but don't quote me I hope there is someone that knows better.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thank you, Justin. Usually, my nephew fishes with me on Lake Livingston. In my lake area, blue cats are under 20 lbs. At least, I did not catch heavier. Catching a flathead is a rare happy event. Personally, I like Penn more and will push him to buy these reels.
Thanks again for your replies, guys.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts