KastKing Rover baitcaster

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by truman13, May 7, 2017.

1. Zigarro

Zigarro Active Member

State:
    N. Texas
    Name:
    L.W.
    I found a "multi-reel" set of Penn HT-100 washers at Scott's; https://store.scottsbt.com/6-113HSP...82-with-Metals-Complete-Kit-11pcs-P14845.aspx
    They're some of the best and might fit that KK. At only $11.00 it's worth a shot?

Doc-a-boo likes this.
  2. twaskom

twaskom Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Adding spring washers might help the drag capabilities but keep in mind when the rods are not being used you should turn the drag pressure down. Continuous pressure on the spring washers will make them less effective.

Doc-a-boo likes this.

3. hookslinger

hookslinger Active Member Supporting Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Name:
    Tony
    I always back my drags off on my reels when stored. When I tighten the star wheel down far enough to get drag on the kastking its about a 1/4" away from the handle so I'm thinking it could use an extra shim or a spring washer. Just have to experiment and see.

Doc-a-boo likes this.
  4. hookslinger

State:
    oklahoma
    Name:
    Tony
    Or maybe its just short a drag washer

5. hookslinger

State:
    oklahoma
    Name:
    Tony
    Well guys after finding a microscope to read the parts list on my kastking, I found it was missing a washer. It had the two spring washers but missing the plain washer. After a little trial and error I found a .035 washer. Works great now.

6. twaskom

twaskom Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    If I had ordered a new reel and it came missing a washer (or any part), that would tell me something.

I do agree with giving a new company a little slack but it is not like they just invented a product that has never existed before. If they went into business to make a fishing reel, I would expect them to know what they were doing.

I think the most correct statement is: You get what you pay for. Not that I buy High dollar reels either. I bought all 13 of my catfish reels on eBay. A used Abu 6500 or 7000 can be easily maintained and is as good as a new one for me.

Hope your reels work out for you.

snakedog and Catpaw like this.
  7. hookslinger

State:
    oklahoma
    Name:
    Tony
    Well I normally buy penns and abu but I thought I would try something different. I'm not going to complain much because I brought 3 penn squall 15 and one was noisy. I sent it in for repair, its been 4weeks now.

Catpaw and twaskom like this.
  8. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    One spring washer more would give you a lot adjustment too! I ordered springs and Abu drag washers and used them in my cheap reels. And they work like a high dollar reel but on the cheap. Happy you found out what it was.

Fate and Catpaw like this.
  9. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Bummer about your reel but glad you could fix it

Catpaw likes this.
  10. HaskelCat

HaskelCat Active Member

State:
    KY
    Landed a 36 pound flathead tonight with my Rover 60, not even a strain.

11. hookslinger

State:
    oklahoma
    Name:
    Tony
    I'm taking my rover out tonight, hope a 36lb flattie finds it too lol.

Fate, Cuda, HaskelCat and 1 other person like this.
  12. Zigarro

Zigarro Active Member

State:
    N. Texas
    Name:
    L.W.
    Just wanted to say thanks for the advice on getting the 25 vs. the 20. The line cap. is much better and the ergonomics are just fine. BTW, I've been using my Rover 60 with 40lb braid and it casts as well as my spinners! I love that reel!

HaskelCat and Blade4130 like this.
  13. HaskelCat

HaskelCat Active Member

State:
    KY
    I use 40 braid on mine as well. Casts like a dream.

Zigarro likes this.
  14. Carl Spitznaugle

Carl Spitznaugle New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Carl
    I have the rover 60 and 50. Work well for me. You can order parts if it breaks just like any other reel. Have the Abu C3 6500's, BP Catmaxx as well. Will the rover last 10 years? Don't know but if it does I'm going to feel jaded I bought an expensive Abu at almost 3 times the price.

Fate and Zigarro like this.
  15. sacnfox85

sacnfox85 Member Supporting Member

Name:
    charles
    Have the rover 50r its a good reel just my drag doesnt seem strong enough but i kinda like it that way makes me fight with the catfish more reeling her in and letting her take line out clickers loud enough to hear and does honestly cast pretty far out there

HaskelCat, Blade4130 and Zigarro like this.
  16. KatfishDave

KatfishDave New Member

Name:
    David
    That is true, and in the case of the KastKing Rover 50 for 50 bucks you get a hell of a reel.

17. KatfishDave

KatfishDave New Member

Name:
    David
    I have always been an Abu Garcia guy,,,i have 17 Ambassadeurs sizes ranging from 5000 to 7000 and age ranging from late 80's to 2010 models. These reels have always been good to me. I upgraded all my Ambassadeurs to carbon drag washers if they didnt have them. Over the years i have used many brands including Daiwa, Shimano, Penn, Okuma,,,,ect. All are good reels but always stuck with my Ambassadeurs. With that being said i will be the first to admit that if something is good i like it and will use it. My buddy bought me a KastKing Rover50 just so i could try it. I used it all this season and put it through the ringer so to speak. I fish mainly on the Ohio River near Markland dam. I have caught many big catfish over the years and know what it takes for a reel to be good. The KastKing Rover50 is what i have used this year and i have caught a lot of catfish on it. I have caught several between 30 and 50 pounds and the reel performed great. I also caught a 56lb,,62lb and 73lb on this reel.
    A lot of people on here seem to be giving opinions on the KastKing with out actually using it. In my opinion i think the KastKing is just as well made and just as good as my Ambassadeurs i every aspect. The reel cast great,,,smooth strong drag and performs as it should. I do agree with some of the post in here that adding an extra spring washer will strengthen the drag,,,,,but i have done that with my Ambassadeurs as well. They are very well made reels FOR THE PRICE and a very well made reel FOR AN AMBASSADEUR PRICE.
    As for the ones who say "what do you do if you need a part or something breaks?" Well the reels have a one year warranty so if something happens in first year you just contact KastKing and they will fix it. If it is out of warranty you just call or contact them for parts and/or service if your not comfortable with fixing it yourself. Same as you would with Ambassadeurs. This is all just my opinion but, after using it i can honestly say its a great reel. If you havent actually used one then,,,,"Dont knock it till you try it"
    No one knows how long any reel will last, The KastKing may last 10 years or 10 days,,,who knows,,,,,,this one lasted me on at least 40 fishing trips and several big fish. If you take the time to clean and do proper maintaining of the reel,,,i dont see why it shouldn't last a long time.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 2:57 PM
    HaskelCat, Catpaw, Fate and 1 other person like this.
  18. hookslinger

State:
    oklahoma
    Name:
    Tony
    I have to agree with KatfishDave even with the fix I had to do my Kastking I love it now. I brought two more. Eposeidon sent me a letter asking how I liked my reels. I've talked with Paul several times on the phone and explained my experience with my reels. So they are aware of the problem, we'll see? He said if I'm not happy it had a year warranty and he doesn't care if he got it back in pieces.

HaskelCat, Blade4130 and KatfishDave like this.
  19. KatfishDave

KatfishDave New Member

Name:
    David
    That is a great mention Hookslinger, just another reason to think that KastKing is a good product. you think Abu Garcia will send you a letter or talk to you on the phone about it. Like i said, if a product is good i dont mind saying it is. The reel has performed as it should for me. If i could change one thing on the reel it would be the spool release lever. Making it out of aluminum would compliment the reel better. I am not saying the plastic release lever is no good just saying it kinda stands out on a all aluminum reel.

HaskelCat likes this.