Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am in need of 2 push button release reels for my wife. She is not coordinated enough for a bait caster and does not like spin cast reels.
So, l was looking at the KastKings Brutus. They have a version with a colored spool to match her 2 new Rippin Lips fishing poles and nails!!! LOL!!!! Any body have any experience with these reels or have any ideas.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am in need of 2 push button release reels for my wife. She is not coordinated enough for a bait caster and does not like spin cast reels.
So, l was looking at the KastKings. They have a version with a colored spool to match her 2 new Rippin Lips fishing poles and nails!!! LOL!!!! Any body have any experience with these reels or have any ideas.
I have two Rover 70s and I really like them. Fit and finish are good. I can definitely cast them better than my other Okumas. The power handle is nice to have and comes on models 70 and above.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
I recently bought my wife a Brutus in March lol she likes spinning reels and hates casting as well. But I had to get her a push button for our bait/Carp/dink/ competitions we have when our family is fishing together. It's nice, we haven't used it yet but it's spooled with 30lb braid waiting to be used later this month. Seems pretty good to me. I have a few other KK reels ie a Rover 70, a Kapstan 300 and a Sharky III Baitrunner. They're all awesome so far. You could also go Zebco 808 or 888 as well. Oh by the way push buttons are actually spincast reels and spinning is just spinning reels. The Brutus will most definitely look good on a rippin lips medium or medium light
20210503_123906.jpeg
20210503_123922.jpeg
20210503_123934.jpeg
20210503_123943.jpeg
20210503_123956.jpeg

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ramones, thats exactly what my set up will look like if l choose to go with that reel. The reel are going on Med/heavy Rippn Lipps rods. And yes, on the casting reel part, l nude it one of those!!!! LOL!!!! Thanks.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I still like the Zebco 808 and 888 reels I have even put braid line on them. My wife still likes to use them she can cast them easier than the open face or bait caster. Just what she like the best and they handle catfish well too.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wait a minute. Wont it be her set up???🤔😂
Yep. She gave me the money for my Bday to buy the 4 Rippn Lipps rods for sale on here. She agreed to clean them up if l gave her 2. I said no problem at all and let her pick out what ones she wanted. They were her favorite color and it matches her nails. As long as l can keep her laying out on the front of my boat while l am fishing l am 1 darn happy camper!!!!
Let's just say it's hard to keep the steering straight when l have to look past those navigational buoys up front!!!

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
How well do those spincasters cast braided line? My last experience with that didn't go so well. But then, the braid I used wasn't exactly the highest quality.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Honestly if I was setting up a push button for my wife, I'd look at the higher end ones.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Great. All my spincast reels have braid, even my kids Spiderman, frozen, Nemo poles lol they cast probably better than my spinning reels and baitcasters. I have 10lb and 15lb braid on the kids, 20lb on my 202s and 30lb braid on my 808s and Brutus.
How well do those spincasters cast braided line? My last experience with that didn't go so well. But then, the braid I used wasn't exactly the highest quality.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Zebco omega, Abu Garcia abumatic, diawa goldcast, zebco bullet, pfluger president...most of these are 60-100 bucks. Ive never used any of them in the wild but ive fiddled with them in the store and the drags are very smooth and I'm not necessarily saying they would be the perfect fit...I know personally I'd start there if I was hunting for a reel for my wife, last thing I ever want is for her to deal with gear problems. Luckily my wife like spinning reels (I taught her how to throw a baitcaster but she prefers the coffee grinder) so when I'm shopping for her I get way more selective just to make her time on the water as enjoyable as possible.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought a Brutus a while back for skippy's due it's high retrieve rate. Looks to be a fairly well made reel. Definitely a step up from the low end zebco reels. Might even beat a Daiwa Goldcast.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a hard time figuring out why a spin caster and not a bait caster? they booth work the same.. one push and hold button in and let go when casting forward , other hold thump on spooled push button line let go when casting forward. if back lash tighten up spool friction tell she gets better.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I have a hard time figuring out why a spin caster and not a bait caster? they booth work the same.. one push and hold button in and let go when casting forward , other hold thump on spooled push button line let go when casting forward. if back lash tighten up spool friction tell she gets better.
Because it's my wife and if that's what she wants, that's what she will have and get!!!! PERIOD!! Thats why!!! Did that take a hard time to figure out?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Every company has a clunker slip through QC, that's why customer service is where companies rise and fall. It's irritating to have to deal with that on a new rod or reel but it happens. That sais i only dealt kast king once on an issue and they did right by me. I had a weak clicker spring in a rover 60 instead of fixing it, they just sent me a new one. The new one works fine I just had a clunker that got through 😂

1 - 19 of 19 Posts