The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I need opinions from you guys.
Im lookin at two rods for my Kapatan when they get back in stock.
Thinkin either an 8' ugly stik catfish rod in medium heavy or an 8' Kastking Kattech Medium Heavy. I fish from the bank and will be throwin 3 ounces of lead plus bait most times. Im mainly interested to see if the sensitivity is as good on the kattech as the ugly stik.
Thanks guys

·
Registered
366 Posts
I had the 7’6” medium heavy Kattech rod and the tip is stiffer than the tip on my 7’ Ugly Stik Rods. The Kattech are very nice rods and use better components in my opinion, but there is just something I fell in love with on the Ugly Stik for my type of fishing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I can only speak to the 7' ugly cat rods. I have the older version and they have been warhorses. I throw 3oz all the time with mine. The only thing I found is the Penn reels have a tendency to get loose due to the small foot size. I put a zebco 808 on it and it was awesome for bank fishing on river sandbars. I think my spinning rod has either a Mitchell 306 or Penn 704. I will say the tiger rods are really awesome too. I would probably buy a ugly tiger between the two, but both are great.

·
Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
834 Posts
I have recently purchased the 8' ugly stik catfish spinning rod. I have just got back from a trip to a favorite creek. I need to practice casting in daylight. Four times I went to lob my bait out in the creek and it sailed to the other bank, got hung up and I lost my rig. Hook, sinker, slide swivel and all. It definitely can cast. :smile1:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I was just worried that the Ugly Stim may not handle the weight very well considering ill be throwing cut bait on it

·
Registered
366 Posts
Thanks guys. I was just worried that the Ugly Stim may not handle the weight very well considering ill be throwing cut bait on it
I use the 7' with 2oz weights and live bait, mostly bluegills, sometimes on the large side. If the bait fish get very big with the 2oz weight it's definitely an easy lob cast, but with cut bait and a 3oz you'll probably be ok. I watched Kayak Catfish cast his using 8oz w/ cut bait.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use the 7' with 2oz weights and live bait, mostly bluegills, sometimes on the large side. If the bait fish get very big with the 2oz weight it's definitely an easy lob cast, but with cut bait and a 3oz you'll probably be ok. I watched Kayak Catfish cast his using 8oz w/ cut bait.
I forgot Justin is usin the Ugly Stik. Even if I had to I could always drop back to a 2 oz sinker since where i fish doesn't have much current anyway most times

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ok guys I need opinions from you guys.
Im lookin at two rods for my Kapatan when they get back in stock.
Thinkin either an 8' ugly stik catfish rod in medium heavy or an 8' Kastking Kattech Medium Heavy. I fish from the bank and will be throwin 3 ounces of lead plus bait most times. Im mainly interested to see if the sensitivity is as good on the kattech as the ugly stik.
Thanks guys
May want to read reviews from other members here. I am not saying that KatTech is bad or good (I never seen it so maybe it is worth every penny) but if I am spending $96 for a rod, I want to make sure I look at other options too. There are lots of rods to choose from at this price point, and some of them are cheaper.

·
Registered
366 Posts
For what it is worth I throw 4 and 5 oz sinkers on Ugly Stik 7 and 8 foot all the time with no issues.
That’s good to know. Those things have a pretty soft tip so they give you the feeling they can’t cast that much reliably, thanks for sharing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts