it has great reviews
35 lbs of drag

I would dread trying to thread line through that levelwind though
:tongue1:

Reactions: ramon06

·
Registered
9,732 Posts
If you do a search on the search bar you'll find a few discussions on the Kapstan. Almost bought it myself. I settled with the Shimano Tekota 600hga, it is an awesome low-profile reel as well. A little more expensive than the kastking though. I dont think you can go wrong either way

https://bottomdwellerstackle.com/product/shimano-tekota-a-series-reels/
Technology Electronic device Gadget Games
Helmet Technology Electronic instrument Electronics Electronic device
Revolver Sewing machine Metal
Fishing reel Fishing

·
Registered
736 Posts
Just speaking of Kastking reels in general, I got a Rover 40 just to check it out and liked it so well got a spinning reel to. Love them both! If I were a low profile guy I'd definitely give the Kastking a try. The Rover is very smooth casting and mine came with a big handle. Kastking say's it has 20# of drag which is fine with me as I only use 14# line on it. Both it and the spinning reel are very nice. Love my ABU's but believe this Rover is very compareable. Also have a Daiwa Millionaire I like very well but again the Rover is every bit as nice.

I pretty much buy fishing gear by cost, don't have, never have and never will spend $100 on a reel! And if my reels only last 15 or 20 yrs, fine with me. Have to say my first ABU 5000 lasted over 30 yrs and gave up the ghost in a house fire. But I see that reel the OP is asking about is well out of my price range but after the two I have from Kastking if I was willing to spend the money I'd do it in a heart beat.

I'm just as chincy with my fishing rods. Got a new rod with my Rover off Amazon. Berkley Cherrywood. About $20 and does all I want! I'm not sure where the point is in buying rods and reels is that your no longer paying for quality you either can't get or simply don't need. I think money is better spent on gas and bait!

·
Registered
736 Posts
I was reading sometime back a guy badmouthing the Kastking Rover really bad. Looked it up and something like $42 and I though nothing could be that bad so I tried one. I really like it in fact I was thinking of another light spinning reel and decided to give kastking a try there too, inexpensive one. Love it! Based on that I'd say give it a try, might surprise you. Then I looked it up just now and the price runs me off. But money is just money To some guy's, like me $50 is a lot of money but to another they don't blink an eye at spending a couple hundred dollars on a reel. If the price is no problem for you, it is for me, I'd say give it a try! I think it was $132 on Kastking's site, probably less on Amazon!

Something I'm real sure of is likely not one person on any fishing site has tried all the reels or used them long enough to give a good opinion of them. I sure don't but I do have reels I much prefer when I can afford them. I'm an ABU fan. Haven't bought one in years because the one's I have just keep on ticking! But I do have a small assortment of other reels I've got just to try over the years. Most of them are worth every penny I paid, some are junk. That's the chance you take buying the unknown. That said, I am an unknown and that kastking reel might be junk in your opinion or maybe I simply got a good one. Only one way your gonna know for sure!

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I bought a Rover, like it really well and confident it will handle any fish I get lucky enough to hook into while fishing the Ohio, I do not know if it would do it as many times as an 5500 or 6000 would though, while I have doubts it would I suspect it will last the remainder of my fishing days.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Does anybody know if they are discontinuing the Kapstan or anything weird? I can't find em anywhere in the right hand retrieve all of a sudden.
Thanks guys
I was going to order one today and ran into the same problem, I really wish the new penn low pros had clickers. Might end up with a Lexa or Tranx before the kapstans become available again, kinda hard to get into bumping when you don’t have the bumping reel you want

1 - 20 of 51 Posts