Kastking kapstan

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Cowboys4357, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Cowboys4357

Cowboys4357 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    James
    Does anyone have any experience with the kastking kapstan? I like low profiles but like bait clickers too so this could be the perfect deal if i decide against a baitrunner spinning reel

ramon06 and Brackish*Water like this.
  2. Brackish*Water

Brackish*Water Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    it has great reviews
    35 lbs of drag

I would dread trying to thread line through that levelwind though
    :tongue1:

ramon06 likes this.

3. Cowboys4357

Cowboys4357 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    James
    Yeah. Im seriously debating on picking one up in the near future

4. Brackish*Water

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    I think Van Kley said all of his future reels would be low profile

ramon06 likes this.
  5. Cowboys4357

Cowboys4357 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    James
    Yeah I've always liked low profile reels but never could find one I liked for cats until now

6. Brackish*Water

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    there is also the okuma komodo
    supposed to be beast

ramon06 likes this.
  7. Cowboys4357

Cowboys4357 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    James
    Yeah. I wish i could buy a rod to go with it but I guess ill have to take off one of my 808's which are 7ft medium heavy rods

8. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Ramon
    If you do a search on the search bar you'll find a few discussions on the Kapstan. Almost bought it myself. I settled with the Shimano Tekota 600hga, it is an awesome low-profile reel as well. A little more expensive than the kastking though. I dont think you can go wrong either way

https://bottomdwellerstackle.com/product/shimano-tekota-a-series-reels/ 20190427_160414.jpeg 20190427_160221.jpeg 20190427_160200.jpeg 20190427_160153.jpeg 20190516_124119.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  9. SpecialK

SpecialK Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Kevin
    There is a guy I follow on Youtube and social media that uses the Kapstan fishing for alligator gar and has landed a lot of very large fish with those reels and said he has not had a single problem yet. I think they might be pretty decent.

10. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Active Member

State:
    Cental Oregon
    Name:
    Don Fischer
    Just speaking of Kastking reels in general, I got a Rover 40 just to check it out and liked it so well got a spinning reel to. Love them both! If I were a low profile guy I'd definitely give the Kastking a try. The Rover is very smooth casting and mine came with a big handle. Kastking say's it has 20# of drag which is fine with me as I only use 14# line on it. Both it and the spinning reel are very nice. Love my ABU's but believe this Rover is very compareable. Also have a Daiwa Millionaire I like very well but again the Rover is every bit as nice.

I pretty much buy fishing gear by cost, don't have, never have and never will spend $100 on a reel! And if my reels only last 15 or 20 yrs, fine with me. Have to say my first ABU 5000 lasted over 30 yrs and gave up the ghost in a house fire. But I see that reel the OP is asking about is well out of my price range but after the two I have from Kastking if I was willing to spend the money I'd do it in a heart beat.

I'm just as chincy with my fishing rods. Got a new rod with my Rover off Amazon. Berkley Cherrywood. About $20 and does all I want! I'm not sure where the point is in buying rods and reels is that your no longer paying for quality you either can't get or simply don't need. I think money is better spent on gas and bait!