Kast King Rover 60 aka Ming Yang Review

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by abudoc, Mar 3, 2018.

1. abudoc

abudoc Well-Known Member

State:
    Columbia, TN
    Name:
    Dean
    When I saw the PMR's video review I commented, that I've seen that clicker before. Another thing I noticed was the reel foot, what I missed was the etching on the side. Shame on me for that, I must be getting old.

I am again surprised by PMR's lack of knowledge, he should have seen this.
    Ladies and the gentleman the Rover is not a KastKing design, it is a Ming Yang. I confirmed this with a look at the MC500/600 schematics while it was apart on the bench.

The black reel is a Ming Yang.
    Side plate markings.jpg
    Took it to a nearby lake to see how it would cast. I mounted the Rover on an Ugly Cat, set the spool up with a little side play, gave it two practice casts with a 3 oz. weight and then let it fly. I had to lightly thumb the spool once during each cast. Not a record breaking distance but probably enough for most bank fisherman. When I got back and opened it up I found the brake weights were pushed in, so they were turned off. So I didn't have brakes or spool tension. Use the brakes and it should be a very easy caster but not a long distance reel.

While I was reeling in I noticed a lot of visible play in the line guide. Well, that is something that needs checking. The pawl and worm fit together well so that is not the problem. I've seen 30 yr old reels with all the chrome wore off the shield that had less play than this line guide. There's .032 of play between the line guide and shield, that is not good. It's a condition that is not going to promote longevity.
    insides mech.jpg

I described the original Ming Release mechanism as the cheapest collection of pot metal I had ever seen in a reel. This is an improvement, I see nothing wrong with it, as long as the metals are well matched to prevent wear. There is a single spring on the mechanism. It functions in a typical fashion, a metal piece slides under the yoke to disengage the pinion. Then two springs return the yoke to the drive position.

Mac-b, RedmanWV, Blade4130 and 5 others like this.
  2. abudoc

abudoc Well-Known Member

State:
    Columbia, TN
    Name:
    Dean
    I was wrong about drag system, it is a 2 disc drag system. The disc above and below the main gear are keyed to the drive shaft with the main gear spinning between them.

I checked the drag and got 8 pounds, good enough for a channel cat reel .....BUT..... It is advertised as having 13.2 pounds. In order to get 10 pounds I was cranking down to hard and to try for 13.2 lbs I was afraid I might strip the drive shaft. It was time to stop. I was told I could use it not break it. I should have negotiated for a breakage if necessary clause.
    This reel needs another disc before it will reach 13.2 lbs.

You'll notice this reel is wider than the standard 6000 size reels and the handle has a long throw. Okay more line capacity more cranking power, right. Maybe not in this case. Extra weight and width is what you get.

This little rant is just my opinion and not necessarily a ding on the reel and may just reflect my fishing style more than anything else.

The wider heavier spool requires more weight to get it spinning during a cast. So perhaps a narrower spool would aid casting. With 8 lbs of drag you do not really need a lot of power so I'm thinking cranking speed from a narrower handle might be more helpful in actual use. At least with this particular reel.
    Comparrison.jpg
    brass gear.jpg
    Something I don't like is the brass cog gear, it's heavy enough to slow casting and provides no safety for the worm gear and pawl. The brass gear is just a marketing gimmic, I don't like.
    Clicker is a standard Abu design, with a different weight spring but it's loud enough.

Mac-b, RedmanWV, Blade4130 and 6 others like this.

3. abudoc

abudoc Well-Known Member

State:
    Columbia, TN
    Name:
    Dean
    R side bearing.jpg
    One very strange thing I noticed is a bearing for the axle on the right side plate. There are 2 bearings in the spool so the axle does not spin, so why the bearing. Might have been a design change from a previous model. So that makes 2 bearings in the spool, 1 on the shaft that does nothing. One pinion bearing, two handle bearings and the anti-reverse bearing. Six plus One.

Good reel foot and bearing supported pinion, good axle size. I could bore you with a lot of meaning less internal dimensions but it is easier to say, nothing I see is either undersized or over sized for it's intended purpose.

The anti-reverse bearing is loose fitting in it's housing, that causes some back wards movement in the handle. I don't believe it's a problem, just not solid feeling.

I did a little research into warranty and parts, there are a few references to “the manufacturer”. Apparently KastKing is just a third party seller. Simply put if it breaks you better hope it's in the first year. Otherwise you'll be the proud owner of a paper weight.

All products should be shipped back to Eposeidon where our quality control department will examine it and do the following: Consider it defective through Eposeidon standards, and immediately ship your replacement or refund your money. Or Contact the manufacturer to see if they cover the defective merchandise, then contact you with the information we have received.

Even though it is better in some ways than the original Ming Yang's, it falls short in it's final execution. Maybe fewer unnecessary bearings and then add a better drag and line guide.
    It's an entry level reel trying to pretend it can run with the big boys. In these reels the 40 or 50 would be a better choice.

My opinion is if you are looking for an entry level reel, there are alternatives. Reels like the Daiwa Millionaire Classic UTD or Millionaire S are entry level or channel cat reels that don't pretend to be any thing else. They are not perfect and the clickers are in an odd location but the warranty is solid and parts are available. Which means in the long run you'll be money ahead.
    If you are looking at these as big cat reels, look some where else.

4. IllinoisMatt

IllinoisMatt Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Matt
    Yeah I do feel the drag is a bit weak in my mc600.

Mac-b likes this.
  5. IllinoisMatt

IllinoisMatt Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Matt
    Also, I dont feel the coatings are as good as the Abu.

Mac-b likes this.
  6. BBK

BBK Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Kevin
    It's probably just as simple as both are made in the same factory in china, and just submitted a slight design modification to be different. They are both imports, neither one actually makes reels nor designed them, they just take the basic model that the head "engineer" at the chinese company gives them and then change what they want to be different. You or I can do the same thing if we put down a few hundred grand, we can go to the same factory and get the same design and then change the drag or cosmetics or something else small, and import a new line of reels.

Mac-b, Blade4130 and ramon06 like this.
  7. Beastly Backlash

Beastly Backlash Well-Known Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    What are your opinions on the Catmaxx 300's Abu Doc?

Thanks for the reveiw btw.

Mac-b and ramon06 like this.
  8. abudoc

abudoc Well-Known Member

State:
    Columbia, TN
    Name:
    Dean
    I don't have an opinion on the Catmaxx, other than it's purdy.
    I've never had the opportunity to handle one, so it would not be right to give much of an opinion.

9. abudoc

abudoc Well-Known Member

State:
    Columbia, TN
    Name:
    Dean
    "few hundred grand"
    It would not be that expensive, I saw a Chinese factory a few years ago that was selling direct. You could buy 1 or a 1000. Get a business license, an Amazon account and bingo you're a dealer. If you wanted a different name on it, it wouldn't cost much for a factory to retool the etching machine .

10. snakedog

snakedog Well-Known Member

State:
    OH/KY/IN
    Name:
    Karl
    That's what Ancient Mariner did. Look familiar?

http://www.ancientmarinergear.com/7000-bait-caster.html

Mac-b and abudoc like this.
  11. abudoc

abudoc Well-Known Member

State:
    Columbia, TN
    Name:
    Dean
    The reels fail under one name and comes back under a new name.
    Their facebook page used to claim they were made in the USA. :laugh:

Mac-b likes this.
  12. BBK

BBK Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Kevin
    I remember that! the guy on facebook swore he was having them made in USA. He was outed and he threatened a bunch of people in return. His pro staffers were all shamed and I think the guy was turned in for scamming people. Haven't heard about him for a while now or what came of it.

Sir slick, Mac-b and abudoc like this.
  13. wadekaminski

wadekaminski Well-Known Member

State:
    MO - Missouri
    Name:
    Wade
    He is still on Facebook and still selling reels.

Mac-b and abudoc like this.
  14. SteveMcK

SteveMcK Well-Known Member

State:
    MS
    Name:
    Steve
    I just got a Ming in December and have used it only about 8-10 times so far. I just noticed the first flaw last time out. The aluminum frame surrounding the spool is really soft. The river has been exceptionally rough with a lot of south wind and fast current so that makes for rough conditions. My reels ride in the bottom of the boat so they get abused knocking against each other. I noticed several dings in the Internal frame around the top from the jarring against each other. I filed them out and smoothed. I have never had a problem like that with any reel before. Not Impressed!!!

Mac-b likes this.
  15. Mac-b

Mac-b Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    About a decade and a half ago +, when the Chinese name reels hit the market in the good old US of A I was asked to test some of them. Told the US seller I was willing to test them and to send me eight of them, that's how many I drift with. But, I put him on notice that if they didn't compare to Abu and some others, I would inform them of that fact, plus inform them of quality features and short comings/failures. Never heard back from them !! Back then I charged $30 @ hour with a minimum contract period of 30 hours. That way I got paid for my efforts and fishing expense. Neat way to fun fish on the other mans money.

Country502 and abudoc like this.
  16. Dust

Dust Active Member

State:
    KY
    Name:
    Jason
    Abudoc, do you think the work gear and pawl from the Kastking would work on the Ming Yang? Would the bearings under the spool tension knobs be worth upgrading, or just the ones actually next to the spool?

mudd likes this.
  17. jldean23

jldean23 Active Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Name:
    Jeremy Dean
    Lol abudoc me and you years ago were arguing about cheaper reels and ming yangs lol it has been awhile, how yeah been.

Lol i still have that ming yang cl60 and its still going i got a lucky one and its my lucky pole and reel its on a rippin lips heavy. Both of my pb has come on that setup and for whatever reason it always gets hit first drives me nuts. It got to the point i wanted to catch something on my penn squall and my abu 7000 and guess what 2 trips not one fish lol brought the ming and bamm caught 6.

I have a bunch of round reels penn g320gt, penn squall, abu c3 6500 a couple and a c4 6500, abu 7000 c3, abu c6500 biggest joke of a reel, okuma classic, omoto jungle, diawa accudepth.

To this day and even back in the day we talked about abu and the only reels i have trouble with is abu. C4 clicker is gone drag sucks. For the life of me why the hell isn't abu using carbon drag after all of these years. For the amount you pay why wont they use carbon drags??? I am a big stickler about backing off drag when i am done fishing because of them idiotic felt washers. If u leave the drag tight for 2 weeks bamm drag is done. Lol leave it over the winter well u will have no drag then u go from no drag no drag and in a 1/4 turn max drag!! I usually buy carbon drag for all of my abu, but i will never buy a abu again because they for whatever reason wont use cabon drag in there reels after all of these years. Why a patent because of penn?? Who knows why maybe you found out why?

ramon06 and Nuclear Bill like this.
  18. JeffB1961

JeffB1961 Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Jeff
    what are your thoughts on the lews LXLC60 compared with the other reels mentioned as a entry level casting cat reel ?

19. jumpmaster

jumpmaster Well-Known Member

State:
    ohio
    Name:
    david
    abu does put carbon drag washers in most of their reels now, all of my 7000s came with carbon drag washers.

20. jldean23

jldean23 Active Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Name:
    Jeremy Dean
    welllllllllll holy crap lol just look at that i cant believe it they finally done it is in the c3 also welllllll took them a bit!!